Saturday, March 5, 2011

I'm Mom and Dad's Favorite...Right?

I understand my fans would like me to blog about bras and the indignity of bra shopping, but I'm going to have to save that for another time. What I really want to address today is the touchy subject of parents, children, and favoritism. And no, I'm not going to confess suggest that I have a favorite child because we all know that distinction depends on the season, month, week, day or hour. What I am going to confess is that at the ripe old age of 41, I still aim to be my parents' #1 child.

I am fully aware that this is slightly pathetic at this point in my life. And it's sad how I allow it to affect everything from the way I deal with my kids when my parents are around, to how guilty I feel if I don't take it easy on my car brakes or change the oil often enough.

For the past week, my parents have been in Mexico with my sister and her family. Once upon a time, back when I had time and money, I would join them for these delightful all-inclusive getaways. But the last couple years now it's just been Dawn and the 'rents, and it's bringing out the green-eyed monster in me. I'm way jealous. Partly because it's cold, windy, and rainy here and I'm surrounded by dust, dirt, and grime from home improvements, but part of me is jealous because this little trip could put Dawn in the lead in the favorite daughter standings.

Let's face it. You're already at a distinct advantage when you're in the warm sunshine with free margaritas and the world's cutest 2-year-old in tow. And because Dawn lives out in Denver, every occasion for seeing her is something special. Me, not so much.

Visits to my house seem to require my father fixing or improving something. He can't just visit for the sake of visiting when he sees how much  needs to be done. When my parents are here the house is always in shambles. The children are usually being particularly obstinate. I never have anything to make for lunch or dinner, and I'm constantly miserable about something. I think my mom and dad must wonder about my housekeeping and parenting skills and question whether I am mentally and emotionally fit for the tasks at hand. Yes, you're at a distinct disadvantage for favorite child status when you're letting it all hang out with no warm tropical breeze, crystal blue waters, or free drinks to distract from life's realities.

Now, lest my dad feel the need to spend an hour penning a missive to tell me how much he and my mom love me, I will say I have no doubt that they prefer me greatly to my sister love me with all their hearts and that they truly have never played favorites (despite my sister's long running belief that she's adopted or at least "the black sheep of the family"). But I think, just to be on the safe side, I need to go along to Mexico next year.

3 comments:

linda said...

Hey Kim, with all the nasty stuff in Mexico I don't think you want to be there. I am surprised the fam went there.

James Wood said...

Kim - read my status from the other day. Next time they visit put out some get well soon cards prior to their arrival. Your parents will ask you about this "mysterious illness" and all the attention will be immediately bestowed upon you.

As for me, I don't have to worry about who's best. My Mom already knows who the #1 kid is based upon my pierogie cooking ability. And provided she doesn't see the photos of my Count Chocula obsession! - ;)

Emily said...

We always joke in my family about who is on the "good" list -- especially with my Dad. But luckily that list is fluid and based mostly on who picks up the phone when he calls. It's an easy ride to the top of that list if you have the stamina to listen to the results of his latest blood work. :)