Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Sweet 16

Today I became the mother of a 16-year-old. I realize you may question the accuracy of this statement given that I haven't hit 30 yet myself, but it's true. My son Ian is 16. The big question for me is "How did this happen?" I remember I couldn't wait for the first few years of motherhood to speed up. The baby and toddler years were not my best. Everyone told me that time would fly, but you really have no concept of just how true that is until your child is in high school and preparing to leave the nest in just a couple years.

Today's blog post is dedicated to Ian, who has humored me, frustrated me, impressed me, and driven me crazy. I am blessed beyond measure to call him my son.

16 Reasons to Love Ian
  1. He makes people laugh.
  2. He has a beautiful singing voice.
  3. He has an overwhelming passion for soccer, despite not being a player.
  4. He's a loyal friend.
  5. He's as quick-witted as anyone I know. The Tonight Show will be his someday.
  6. He's super smart.
  7. He looks adults in the eye when they make conversation with him.
  8. He teaches Sunday school to elementary-age kids who can't wait to see him.
  9. I've never known him to be mean.
  10. Shockingly, he doesn't mind hanging out with me. No, really!
  11. His friends' parents adore him.
  12. He's a total smart ass, without being disrespectful.
  13. He still gives hugs.
  14. He has only run away from home once, albeit in the snow wearing really good shoes. 
  15. He's the dictionary example of a "really good kid."
  16. He still tells me he loves me. 
This is when he started laying around.
The first time we saw that awesome smile. 

He still makes a mess when he eats, 15 years later.
Early gangsta days.
Abby's already trying to tell him what to do.
He's never eaten black licorice again
since learning it comes with a baby sister.

Young man's best friend.
You mean not every kid sees Jamie Moyer
when visiting Dad at work?
The first and only time
he considered playing football.
First time we discovered he looks great dressed up.
How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

No comments: