Thursday, February 9, 2012

Say What?

I just returned home from selling Judson Press books at the Samuel DeWitt Proctor Conference, Inc.'s "2012 Clergy & Lay Leadership Conference" in Chicago. I met many terrific pastors, preachers, first ladies (the title for the wife of the pastor in the African American church), and seminarians. They ranged in age and experience from first year students to the old guard of black preachers including those well into their 70s and 80s with 50 years of ministry under their belts (or in this case, robes). I never fail to leave one of these events feeling inspired, even if I don't step foot into a worship service.

In honor of my week with these fine folks, I offer you...

The Top 10 Things You'll NEVER Hear
at a Black Clergy Conference

10. The energy level is sorely lacking.
9.   I wish someone was selling clergy robes, dresses, jewelry, or traditional African garb.
8.   How come the men never wear bowties? 
7.   Too bad there aren't any strong, leading black women in ministry.
6.   I can't be bothered with these social justice issues.
5.   That preacher really needs to work on his presence and voice projection.
4.   That girl from Judson Press blends right in.
3.   These worship services are entirely too brief.
2.   What I wouldn't give for some real music.
1.   Where's the Holy Spirit when you need it?

No comments: