Friday, December 28, 2012

2012 Movies in Review

I know you've been asking yourself, "When will she post her annual movie year-in-review?" The wait is over.

Honestly, I thought it was a mediocre-at-best year for movies. Nothing really moved me or made my top 10 or even top 25 favorite-movies-ever list. Because of this, rather than tell you which ones I liked or didn't like, I decided to kick it up a notch and present my own award categories. For those of you who must know which films I actually recommend, I've added the urls. Now, without further ado, here are Freakin' Angel's top 15 Memorable Movies from 2012

For eye-candy purposes only
  1. Best Ending Unless You Like 'Em Happy:
    "Seeking a Friend for the End of the World" (Steve Carrell and Keira Knightley)
  2. Best Non-Gratuitous Use of Sex:
    "The Sessions" (Helen Hunt)
  3. Best (and I use that term loosely) Use of Bods over Brains:
    "Magic Mike" (Channing Tatum, Matthew McConaughey)
  4. Least Enjoyable Kid's Movie:
    The Odd Life of Timothy Green (Jennifer Garner)
  5. Greatest Visual Appeal in an Ultimately Underwhelming Movie:
    "The Life of Pi"
  6. The Best Use of Awkward Teens:
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower
  7. Best-Suited for the Hallmark Channel or Lifetime (a.k.a. You shouldn't have paid to see this):
    "The Lucky One" (Zac Efron)
  8. Best Use of Chris Rock in a Polka-Dot Wig:
    "Madagascar 3"
  9. The "I'd Watch Justin Timberlake in Anything, but Clint's getting Old and Surly" Movie:
    "Trouble with the Curve" (Justin Timberlake, Clint Eastwood, Amy Adams)
  10. The Year's Most Bipolar Film (Is it a drama, comedy, sports flick, or romance?):
    "Silver Linings Play Book" (Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence)
  11. Best Use of Hip Waders:
    "Salmon Fishing in the Yemen"
  12. Least Accurately Represented by its Commercials:
    "Flight" (Denzel Washington)
  13. The Indie Film Most Awkwardly Teetering Between Fantasy & Reality:
    "Ruby Sparks"
  14. The "Oh Crap, That Could Be Us Someday" movie:
    "Hope Springs" (Meryl Streep, Tommy Lee Jones)
  15. The "Oh Crap, That's Us Now" movie:
    "This is 40" (Paul Ruud and the actress with the annoying voice)
I haven't nagged you about leaving comments recently, but this post cries out for your response. What categories and films would you add to the list?

Next up: Books of the Year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kim, I am shocked that you neglected to include these fine superhero movies (in my order of preference)

The Avengers
The Amazing Spiderman
The Dark Knight Rises
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance

And my other thoughts:

Brave (Amazing animation)
The Hunger Games (...Yawn!)
The Cabin In The Woods (Horror movie that started out good and got incredibly bad)

Ted (Laugh out loud funny)


Frankenweenie (Love Tim Burton, and the dog has the same name as mine... Sparky!)