Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Random Musings: Italian Edition


I have returned from the Silvertones' singing tour of the southeastern region (Puglia) of Italy. It was an amazing experience and worth every penny of my children's college education money. Just seeing Ian's tremendous smile when singing or hanging with his friends was incredibly special. I told him I must go on the next tour in two years. And maybe I'll continue to go after he graduates. He told me the kids liked me best out of all the chaperones, but lest I think too highly of myself he added, "That really isn't saying much when you consider the competition."

As I prepare to return to the daily grind, time and my jet lagged brain do not permit a full post reflecting on the experience at this point.  But because I know you've missed me terribly (and Rob disappointed you by not taking advantage of a great opportunity to get even with me for a three years worth of somewhat questionable posts), I thought I'd quickly share:

20 Things I Learned in Italy
A frogfish face only a mother could love.

  1. I do, in fact, like red wine!
  2. I do not, however, like octopus, or squid, or veal, or sushi, or vegetables...(most of the adventurous multi-course meals were wasted on me; I think Ian actually ate more than I did).
  3. Frogfish does not taste as bad as it looks.
  4. America's bread, cheese, salami/prosciutto and pizza pale in comparison to Italy's. Just don't try to bring home the meat. Damn those customs agents! Damn me for including the salami on the declaration form! 
  5. Italian men are instantly recognizable and live up to their reputation as Lotharios. Our girls were frequent objects of "affection."
  6. Older Italian women look like my mother-in-law and her sisters. 
  7. Italians, at least in the region we were in, don't often use garlic, and the country as a whole is not

    particularly wild about chicken.
  8. Or, hair conditioner.
  9. Hotels don't feel adequate hair dryers are important, but they're big on heated towel racks and bidets.
  10. As a tourist, siesta time sucks. This is why I didn't buy you anything. All the stores were closed when I wanted to shop.
  11. Buildings in Italy are considered modern if they were built after the 17th century. 
  12. Italians don't dress up for church, even on Easter Sunday. It's perfectly okay to wear ripped jeans and a sweatshirt, as long as you don't expose your shoulders, elbows or knees.
  13. The long-legged blondes in our group turned a lot of heads in Italy. Same as they do in America.
  14. Italians sell pizza topped with hot dogs and French fries. 
  15. In the piazzas, throngs of people stroll through the streets (and I do mean "stroll." No one ever seems to be in a hurry over there. Maddening for speed walkers like me). Vehicles also drive on these streets, causing us to frequently shout "CAR" during our walking tours.  
  16. There's a trend toward rosé wines at the vineyards in Italy. Rob is terribly disappointed to hear this.
  17. Depeche Mode sounds awesome when drinking tea in a bar (what we would call a cafe or coffee bar) next to a 15th century church in Martina Franca.
  18. The window balconies you see on castles and fancy homes were shaped outward to fit women's big
    dresses back in the day.
  19. There are more than 50 million olive trees in the Puglia region.
  20. The best moments in life are generally those you didn't plan for. 
And those special unplanned moments are what I'll share in my next post. Until then, arrivederci!

No comments: