Monday, July 15, 2013

Hey! Look at Me!

Last week I shared details from my recent trip to Pittsburgh, which included the "furries" who stole the spotlight from a visit with my college roommate, time with our friends the Boyds, and the Phils v. Pirates game. Truly "a trip" to remember. If you haven't seen that post yet, I encourage you to start there; at least check out the pictures if you don't feel like reading.

At the end of "Now That Was a Trip" I confessed that I had genuine reservations about photographing the freaky furry people animals. It seemed rude, most likely because I knew I wasn't taking the pictures in respect or admiration for what I was seeing. I was basically photographing something bizarre that I needed to share with others so that together we could enjoy a good laugh or at least a disbelieving shake of the head. As I considered the appropriateness of snapping those photos, I had another thought, one prompted by a video I watched recently about the evolution of the swimsuit. Yes, you read that right. Stay with me here.

In The Evolution of the Swim Suit, swim suit designer Jessica Rey presents Princeton University research which studied men and their reaction to photos of scantily clad women.. The study found that men do not see women in bikinis as women, but rather as objects. "Some men showed zero brain activity in the medial prefrontal cortex, which is the part of the brain that lights up when one ponders another person's thoughts, feelings, and intentions." Translated, these findings mean bikinis are a bad idea if women want to be recognized and treated as human beings by the opposite sex. You're probably wondering how this relates to computer geeks in unicorn suits.

Well, both scenarios lead me to this undoubtedly controversial conclusion:

When we choose to dress, adorn, or style ourselves in a manner that stands out from the crowd, we invite attention. That attention may include having our picture taken by complete strangers.

Does that mean you should try to look like everyone else? Only if the attention bothers you.

Like it or not, dude, you've got some
stares coming your way
If you decide to dress like a unicorn, appear half naked in a skimpy bikini, tattoo every exposed part of your body and pierce everything else, or wear a ball gown to a baseball game, chances are that folks are going to look your way. And you have no right to complain. How we choose to look is a statement about who we are. Your look may scream dork, centerfold, non-conformist or "desperate for attention" but it's "screaming" because you made that choice. And choice is an important word here. People who are born with physical differences are off limits in the "check that out" category. As are people who dress differently for religious or cultural reasons. I know the Amish look really interesting in their dress and mode of travel, but that doesn't mean we should gawk and photograph them like they're a tourist attraction.

Saying that your choices open you to attention, does not mean your personal space should be invaded or compromised. It doesn't mean that you shouldn't be treated with respect, dignity or consideration. I'm just saying when you opt for a lifestyle that lends itself to dressing like an animal, a sex object, or a Klingon, you can't get pissed off when people stare or snap your photo with their smartphone.

So there you have it. The connection between furries, bikinis and the Amish. I'm sure you were wondering how I was going to get there.

No doubt at least a few of you will find my conclusion offensive, so I look forward to hearing your counter response. (Wouldn't this be a great debate topic for a high school competition?)

No comments: