Monday, January 4, 2016

What I Learned on My Christmas Vacation

At 9 a.m. on New Year's Eve (after a two-hour delay on our red eye), we returned from Scottsdale, Arizona. This was the first time in several years that we went away as a family, just the four of us, for a week's vacation. I think it's important to do that every once awhile, just to see whether you actually like each other. After all, if daily life is any indication, we're all pretty much certain that we live with inconsiderate jerks. I'm happy to say that we confirmed that we do in fact like each other. Sorta...

It's important to look natural in your photos.
What I Learned on My Christmas Vacation
  1. The kids get along great...as long as they have someone else to pick on. 
  2. Mom is an excellent target for abuse.
  3. Like I did in high school, I'm going to assume the degree to which I'm being picked on directly correlates to how much I am loved.
  4. I can add hiking to the list of things--old movies, opera, modern art, camping--that I wish I liked but really don't.
  5. I probably shouldn't have tackled a double-black diamond trail on my first hiking trip in years. 
  6. If you're going to stop and cry while hiking, be sure to have tissues so you don't have to blow your nose on your shirt.
  7. I have no mental fortitude whatsoever. When the going gets tough, the tough get going I want someone to carry me back to the car. 
  8. Vacation isn't the ideal time to test just how much cheese you can eat before you get sick.
  9. As the mom, it works out in your favor to bribe your daughter to see Star Wars with the family by offering a massage and facial in exchange. Someone had to accompany her...
  10. You can get an amazing massage and facial for a very reasonable price in Scottsdale.
  11. If you use the words "history" or "museum" to describe an activity to Abby, her IQ drops 50 points and she simply shuts down like a malfunctioning computer.
  12. I'm thankful that conferences with my kids' teachers were always very positive, because Lily is an embarrassment to the family. Just ask Jessica, the dog sitter.
    If one must take a selfie, it should be artsy, like on an angel.
  13. Apparently, selfies are no longer cool, hence following a familiar technological pattern: Once parents adopt what was formerly a "kid" thing, the kids immediately abandon it and move on to whatever's next.
  14. I would consider moving to Arizona in retirement, but I think I'd miss the ocean too much. 
  15. Regardless of where I retire, I'm psyched that I'll have Rob MacPherson by my side. 
Sorry for the mushy stuff there at the end. It's our 21st anniversary on Saturday. To send gifts, message me for our mailing address. 
I like this photo that Abby took of us.
Just ignore the giant phallic symbol
.
Finally, coming soon (tomorrow??), my first 2015 "Best Of" list!

No comments: