Wednesday, March 3, 2010

What is it about kids today?

You know you're old when you say something along the lines of "What is it with kids these days?" But really, there's something about them that feels different from "when I was a kid." Here's what I think it is. As a whole, they're gutsier than my generation was at their age. Now in some cases, that bravado is also accompanied by a lack of respect, a lack of limits, and general obnoxiousness. But in most cases, it translates into inspiring fearlessness and self-confidence that I'm not sure I possess at age 40.

Last week was the Wallingford Elementary School Variety Show. And my daring daughter performed a solo act. With a hula hoop. To MC Hammer's "U Can't Touch This." And she didn't just stand there and hula. She walked with it. She turned in circles with it as it spun around her. She dropped to the floor with it (on purpose) and kept that hula hoop spinning the entire time. Still have no idea where the hula hoop gene comes from in my family, but it was fun to watch.

Of course, Abby wasn't the only talented kid up on that stage. Since she was near the end of the show, I was one of the poor suckers stuck watching the whole thing lucky enough to see most of the 46 acts. Yes. There were 46 acts which included probably around 100 kids. So what did the little cherubs do in this aptly named Variety Show (because "talent" show would have been a bit of a stretch in most cases)? Here's a sampling:
  • A McDonald's rap
  • Performance of a Who number (drums, electric guitar, singers)
  • Magic tricks
  • Poetry reciting
  • Joke telling ("What time is it when the clock strikes 13?   Time to get a new clock")
  • Brazilian drums
  • The 12 dogs of Christmas
  • At least two performances of Green Day songs
  • Playing the electric guitar
  • Playing the acoustic guitar
  • Playing the french horn
  • Playing the piano
  • Irish dancing
  • Hip hop dancing
  • Lip-synching
  • "Real" singing
I think I was most impressed by the kids who got up there and really sang, without the recording behind them. Acapella in front of 500 six-to-ten year-olds??? That's downright ballsy! And then there were even gutsy song choices, including "Jesus Take the Wheel," and "Amazing Grace."

But do you know what is the most inspiring thing about the Variety Show every year? It's the audience. Kids as a whole often get a bad rap as being cruel and insensitive to each other (and as a mom and former kid I know that some of them sometimes are), but at the WES Variety Show, everyone gets cheered as if they're a rock star. No one is ever booed and the applause is always deafening. It's a beautiful example of what's possible when we support one another and give each other the confidence to succeed.

In the interest of full disclosure...

When I was in 8th or 9th grade I teamed up with my best friend Kelly and we performed in the Shawnee Intermediate School Talent Show. I'm pretty sure it was called a talent show and not a variety show, but regardless, I know for a fact that Kelly and I demonstrated no talent whatsoever. Unless you consider making a fool of yourself a talent (in which case, I'm a star!). Kelly and I donned our cowboy hats and boots and sang along to the recording of that classic Davis Mac number, "Oh Lord, It's Hard to be Humble." Not familiar with it? Here are just a few of the lyrics:

Oh Lord it's hard to be humble
when you're perfect in every way.
I can't wait to look in the mirror
cause I get better looking each day
I'm still embarrassed.

Let's hear your talent/variety show stories! 

2 comments:

Emily @ mothersofbrothers said...

I was a total show off as a child. I would do ten minutes in front of an open refrigerator if given the opportunity. And to date, I still like public speaking. So that bodes well for Abby. Speaking of talent -- I really think that Ian is quite the dancer (seriously). He broke into a few quick moves the other day and I saw some definite rhythm. Must get that from his mother.

A "Freakin' Angel" said...

Ian most definitely gets his moves from his father.