Monday, October 4, 2010

How to Make the Short List for Kim's Phillies Tickets

On Wednesday, the Phillies begin their fourth straight trip to the playoffs. We're getting spoiled here in Philadelphia, but enjoying every minute of it. Well, maybe not every minute, particularly if you're my husband. As many of you know, my husband, Greg Dobbs Rob, works for the team. And if the request for tickets is steady during the regular season, you can imagine what he goes through come October.

As the wife of the guy who works for the Phillies, I get a fair number of ticket requests myself, most of which I laugh off with a good natured, "you wish." The challenge for me actually, is in deciding who I want to accompany me to these precious post season games. Believe it or not, careful consideration needs to be given to selecting the right phan for the job.

This point was driven home for me when my husband told me of a coworker who is currently at the Ryder Cup in Newport, Wales. She had been invited by a friend who was attending as a client of one of the Cup sponsors and was able to bring a guest. The problem is that this woman hates golf. She actually asked if they had to stay till Sunday...the day of the final matches. Yes, you have to stay for that. To say this is a tragic waste of a Ryder Cup ticket is an understatement. It should go without saying that when selecting a friend to accompany you to any major sporting event, that friend should be a fan of the sport involved.

In addition to selecting your guest based on their fan status, here are some additional considerations for who makes the cut:
  • Is this person a true friend or family member? Frankly, I'm never going to be willing to give my extra ticket to the roofer or the dry cleaner. Please don't ask.
  • Does this person regularly ask you for tickets? They're out. I'm way more inclined to offer my ticket to a friend who has never once asked for tickets because they don't want to be rude. This way I feel like the good fairy when I make the call to invite them along.
  • Do you have a good time with this person? I once invited Freakin' Angel Karen to a playoff game and she organized the all-important tailgating complete with beer and cheesesteaks before the game. No one before or since has suggested tailgating. Shame on the rest of you!
  • Is this person well-off financially? Then buy tickets, you cheapskate! Kidding. But seriously, back to the good fairy thing, if I can invite a friend who I know would have to choose between eating dinner for a week or going to a playoff game, they're more likely to get the call. This consideration has definitely benefited friends like our Children's Ministry director at church. 
  • Can I expect undying love, devotion, and appreciation from this person?. If I take you to a playoff game, I expect non-stop thanks and gushing love and admiration. Buying me a beer, soda, or popcorn is never a bad idea either. After all, even the good fairy gets hungry and thirsty.
  • Does this person know the sport? Being a fan is essential, but actually understanding the game is worth bonus points. 
On Wednesday I will be accompanied to the first NLDS game by Mr. Hugh Poland. My friends and family members are wondering "who the heck is Hugh Poland and how did he make the cut?" Well, Hugh is a Judson Press author whom I would also consider to be a friend. He's one of the most likeable guys you ever want to meet, plus he meets the requirements above almost to a T.
  1. Hugh is a huge baseball fan. He wrote two of our best selling (and my favorite) Judson Press books, Steal Away and Intentional Walk, both volumes of devotions for baseball fans.
  2. Being from Texas, Hugh never asks me for tickets to Phillies games. I, however, have routinely asked him to come to Philadelphia so I could take him to a game. He is in town this week for a conference in Lancaster. Talk about good timing!
  3. I have enjoyed Hugh's company at Christian retailing events. If you can enjoy someone's company in an exhibit hall, you're probably in good shape for a sporting event.
  4. Hugh is a church musician. I doubt he's drowning in dough.
  5. I'm just guessing here, but yes, I think Hugh will appreciate this opportunity. 
  6. Does he know the sport? Hugh is a member of the Society for American Baseball and he wrote two books filled with stories from the game. I think he knows the nuances.
So there you have it. The way to Kim's heart and playoff tickets. I expect I'll receive some creative comments from this post, all finding a way to let me know you're an underpaid, highly appreciative individual who has read every book there is on the topic of baseball and who bleeds red and white...

Go Phils!

9 comments:

Bryce Good said...

Kim,

A very well written explanation of your plight. I will not use this as a forum for grovelling for tickets as I am too busy trying to find extra jobs to be able to feed my family as my regular job is light on work (and has been for over a year). In my spare time, I hope to catch the games on a transister radio as I cannot afford these fancy phones people have today. So, I hope you enjoy the games with a friend you have known for a while and are/are not necessarily close. Of course, all of this is light hearted and in jest.

BTW, I am DIEHARD Reds fan and you would not want that next to you as I am cheering for an utter destruction of the Phils.

:)

Bryce

Emily said...

Given my history with you and Phillies games, I would not for a second consider myself worthy of being on this list (My husband may be another story though). That said, please know that if we are around, we would gladly take your children at our house if they are not going with you. We like having them around. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Kim,
This is not a ploy for tickets but one of the things that I wanted to mention to you yesterday was that I really do enjoy reading your blog. One of my favorites was when you let Ian take over. Priceless.
Good stuff freakin angel:)
xoxo kfed

James Wood said...

Kim, I think that because of the rude comments Bryce just made regarding the destruction of the Phils you should take ME to a game...

We'll have soft pretzels, beer and laugh when he is proven wrong... That'll fix him!! --- :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim
How about a raffle to benefit one of the many worthy missions at MPC? I'd buy a few tickets even though I am not a baseball fan. Then I'd see how many friends I have when I have a ticket to give away!
Pam Orr

Mark said...

I hope I can speak for all of us, when I say I now hate Mr. Hugh Poland.

P.S. Just kidding. What a great game!

BHaasTSD said...

I am the son of a baseball coach. The oldest picture of me that exists has me wearing Lil' Slugger PJs. I have never asked you for tickets before and I would buy you beer and cheese steaks even if we just watching at TGIFridays. Heck, I won't even ask for tickets in the future unless the Phillies make the Series and play another team that wears darker colored pinstripes.

Hugh Poland said...

Hi Kim, once again thanks for the incredible time you & Rob showed me at the Phillies game the other night. I'm pretty impressed--you even arranged for me to see a no-hitter. I had no idea you carried that much clout in the clubhouse.

You simply must come to Houston someday and let me reciprocate by taking you to an Astros game at Minute Maid Park. Hopefully that will be soon. If, however, you are waiting to get a ticket to the playoffs, well . . . you might be using a walker by then if you wait that long! Congrats & Go Phils!

CLAS Photo said...

Kim, Love the post and I couldn't agree more that you picked "The perfect fan" to watch NLDS Game 1. I was watching the game from Houston and grabbed my laptop to catch up on Facebook while watching the game. I saw Hugh's Facebook post just before the game that he was indeed "at" the first game of the post season in Philly. I gave Hugh the symbolic fist pump and immediately posted "Hey Hugh, enjoy game 1 and BTW, remember what happened the last time you attended an out of town game?" I don't remember the date (that is Hugh's job) but it was Chicago Cubs at home, Sammy Sosa, broken bat, cork on the infield. (nuff said). Had you known the trend of MLB history that follows Hugh to the game you would have been ready. I called his wife Karen (my sister) in the 8th inning and said "Hey, do have any idea where you husband is?" She laughed and said "He is in Philly at a baseball game i think" I laughed and said "you have no idea what he is about to witness. I sure hope he remembered to bring his camera!" I have been to some close ones but I am too young to be a member of the elite fans that have witnessed a nono. Like I said, I couldn't think of a better person to witness this post season NH "live" and in person than Hugh.