Monday, July 11, 2011

The Power of Suggestion?

I'm in Atlanta until Wednesday for the International Christian Retailing Show. It's where Christian publishers like Judson Press hawk their wares present their newest titles to Christian bookstore buyers. A rockin' good time to say the least. What are you snickering at?

It just so happens that the four days I'm in Atlanta are the same four that Rob is in Phoenix for the MLB All-Star game. Playing golf, wining, dining, and watching the best players in all of baseball. I know he's totally wishing he had my job and could hang out with the holy in Atlanta's convention center, but we can't all be so lucky.

While Rob and I are both out of town the kids will be enjoying the company of their Nana (my mom). They are sure to enjoy this little break from me given that my mom decided recently that she only wanted them to love her and therefore she would no longer in any way discipline them or ask them to do anything around the house. Great for her. Sucks for me.

Mom asked me yesterday before I left, with a touch of melancholy in her voice, if I get lonely when I travel solo. I coughed up what I was eating and milk flew out of my nose when I laughed and responded with "Are you kidding? I love it!" And I do love it. It's downtime for me. No one to clean up after. No one to reprimand. No one saying "I hate her/him, why did he/she have to be born?" I like having a bed to myself, and a tv to watch while propped up on way comfy pillows in air conditioning (our attic level bedroom is an oven in the summer). I don't even mind eating alone which some people are uncomfortable with. Just gives me a chance to read without having to make conversation.

So yes, I told mom I love to travel alone.

And wouldn't you know it, the whole way to the airport, and sitting at the gate, I was oddly homesick and missing the kids, and Rob, and my mom.

...I can't believe I'm stuck traveling all alone.

No comments: