Thursday, August 30, 2012

Just One of Those Days

My first moment of peace all day. Our summer fun facilitator's (SFF) last hurrah was Tuesday and I've been home alone going stark raving mad with my children since then. Today was "one of those days." One of those days that only parents of pre-driving age children can relate to. One of those days that makes me think I need a summer-fall-winter-spring facilitator to manage my children and their schedules. I believe rich people call them nannies.

I mentioned in my introduction to Summer and Shane (our 2012 SFFs) that one thing I particularly appreciate about my summer help is the errand running and children shuttling. I despise both of those things. Basically anything that requires me to get into the car for something other than work, the movies, or dinner out is a major imposition. Today I had the pleasure of adding one other thing I detest into the errand running/kid shuttling mix: WAITING. I don't wait well and today included waiting to the extreme.

The plan for my morning was simple enough. The Silvertone's (the high school group Ian sings with) was performing at our school district convocation in the morning. The director told me to be there by 8:45 a.m. and that it would end by 9:30. Because I'm always punctual, particularly when Abby's nagging me, we were there right on time. We entered the auditorium and the high school's drumline was already on stage. The rest of the 300+ kids in the band filed in. It was a sight to behold and the sounds were as spectacular as one has grown to expect from one of the greatest high school bands in the state. We were off to an excellent start.

After the band performed, the Silvertones took the stage where they performed a moving rendition of the nationl anthem, followed by "Happy Birthday" for one of the teachers in the audience. Good stuff.

And then they left the stage. And Abby and I stood along the back wall of the auditorium to wait for them to reappear. And we stood. And we stood. And we stood some more. Around 10:00 a.m., more than an hour later for those of you who don't want to do the math, the Silvertones came back and performed "What a Wonderful World." And then they sat down on the stage, suggesting a short break before their next song. And Abby and I stood and waited. And we stood. And we stood. And we stood some more. Around 10:45 a.m. the Silvertones rose and perfomed Adele's "Rolling in the Deep." It was almost, but not quite, worth the wait.

We asked Ian if he could leave with us so I wouldn't have to come back and pick him up. He first shot me dagger looks for speaking to him while in the company of his fellow performers, then he said "no."  He couldn't leave. Abby and I headed home. We walked in the front door and as I set down my keys my phone rang. You guessed it. Ian was ready to be picked up.

An hour later he required a ride to his afternoon babysitting gig.  An hour after that, Abby required a ride to her orthodontist appointment where we sat and waited for an insignificant (compared to our morning) 30 minutes.

An hour later Abby required a ride to soccer. She couldn't go in the carpool because the other driver has a problem with punctuality and Abby won't tolerate being late. I dropped her off at soccer practice at 3:45 p.m., called Ian to see if he was ready to be picked up from babysitting (just a few blocks away). He said no. I went home. I walked in the front door and as I set down my keys my phone rang. You guessed it. Ian was ready to be picked up. I kid you not.

And all this is just a precursor to my life for the next nine months. Ian has 7 a.m. rehearsals daily and plans on joining debate team. Abby will have band rehearsals, plus soccer practices and weekly games. And God knows how many clubs she'll join when she arrives at the middle school next week.
 
I'm up for the challenge though. In fact, apparently I'm so squared away and in control of my life that I'm hosting an exchange student come the second half of the school year. I think a 16-year-old French speaking Canadian who will probably play soccer and/or volleyball and require rides to and from practice is just what I need. Best of all, the Rotary Club tells me I also have to feed her while she's living with us. Good times are a comin!

I know some of you crazy parents with more than two kids have it way worse than me, but it helps just to get it all out. And a bottle of wine helps a good deal also.

Enjoy your Labor Day weekend. The fun is just about to begin!

No comments: