Thursday, August 23, 2012

When Fantasy in Film Goes Awry: An Entertainment Review


In the past couple weeks I’ve consumed a good deal of entertainment in the form of books and movies. I also seem to have consumed a good deal of wine, though the two may not in any way be related.

Given that I have nothing particularly fascinating or disturbing to write about (really, once you cover shaving your nose and dropping socks in the toilet, what else is there?), I thought I’d provide you with one of my official/professional/authoritative movie review posts.  From here you can decide what to see this weekend. Cause really, my opinion means everything to you, right?

A failed experiment
I started off my movie blitz last week with Hope Springs, the troubled marriage flick starring  the incomparable Meryl Streep and Tommy Lee Jones. I invited my boss to see it with me after work. This is rather like watching a movie with your mom, only to have an embarrassing sex scene pop up. Luckily, Laura and I both laugh easily which masked any discomfort we may have felt. But about the movie, it was good if slightly disturbing. Disturbing in that, if you’re married, you can see (relate?) to how easily your relationship can fall apart. It reminds you of just how much work is required to keep a marriage strong, intimate, and rewarding. Still, despite the heaviness of that message, there are plenty of good laughs and the usual happy ending. It’s also fun seeing Steve Carrell play a serious role. I adore him. Just seems like someone you’d want to have a beer with, doesn’t he?

We’ll give "Hope Springs" 2.5 out of 4 stars.

After "Hope Springs" my movie choices became notably less realistic. Perhaps a subconscious decision on my part?

Trippy fun, for a little while
While in Dedham, MA for my brain scan, I decided to take in a movie. (I have no qualms about going to the movies solo. Must be the introvert in me.)  I selected Ruby Sparks, an indie film that I knew I’d have trouble selling to my usual movie partners. As described in the synopsis on IMDb, "Ruby Sparks" is about a young novelist struggling with writer's block who finds romance in a most unusual way: by creating a female character he thinks will love him, then willing her into existence.  Sounds kinda fun and trippy, right?

It had its moments, but actually veered into dark territory. And ultimately it went with the standard happy ending.  I get that people go to the movies to escape reality where endings are all too often unhappy, but sometimes for a movie to really work, the writers should refuse to bow to the pressure and make the ending legitimate. If not unhappy, then at least vague and uncertain. Maybe that’s just me. Anyway, I’d say this one is worth a look for the unique story line, but wait for the video.

"Ruby Sparks" earns 2 out of 4 stars.

Ricky Gervais with his 10 Commandments
On the train ride home from Boston I popped in a video I’d borrowed from a friend: The Invention of Lying. Great title. Great concept. Great cast including Jennifer Garner, Ricky Gervais, Rob Lowe, Tina Fey Jonah Hill, and other fairly big name celebs. So why hadn’t I ever heard of it? Has anyone heard of it?

"The Invention of Lying" is a comedy set in a world where no one has ever lied, until a writer (Gervais) stumbles upon it and seizes the opportunity for personal gain. The blunt honesty of the dialogue makes it wry and cynical, a rather black comedy. 

Especially interesting to Christians with a sense of humor, the movie "explains" the origin of God and His ultimate control as well as the concept of Heaven and Hell. Translation: Christianity is a lie, pure fiction. Not surprising content given that outspoken atheist Ricky Gervais also wrote the movie.

If you’re not easily offended by sacrilegious material, I really recommend this one. It’s definitely funny. I give it 3 stars out of 4.

Timothy Green being, well, odd.
Finally, in the company of Rob and Abby I finished out last weekend with The Odd Life of Timothy Green. Let’s just say they got the title correct. “Odd” it is. I’m usually a sucker for these feel-good flicks, and I’m a big Jennifer Garner fan (I know she’s the only reason my husband was willing to see it), but this one left me flat. As described on IMBd: “A childless couple bury a box in their backyard, containing all of their wishes for an infant. Soon, a child is born, though Timothy Green is not all that he appears.”

SPOILER ALERT: The kid comes out of the ground and he’s got leaves on his legs and when all the leaves fall off… It can be a traumatic ending for young viewers.

I have a problem with the combination of reality and fantasy. I generally want mine straight up, either-or. This particular mix came off as hokie. Maybe I just wasn’t in the mood. Maybe the mix of fantasy and reality in "Ruby Sparks" had pushed me over the edge.

NOTE: The exception to this rule is "Field of Dreams." And science fiction doesn’t count cause there really could be aliens like ET.

Timothy Green gets 1.5 stars out of 4.

So there you have it. Four movies, none of which you need to rush out to see this weekend. Which in hindsight makes this post rather pointless in the short term.

In order to end on a more positive note, allow me to whole-heartedly recommend two books I've recently read:

The Irresistible Henry House by Lisa Grunwald, which I gave 4 out of 5 stars on GoodReads.com, and The Last Days of Ptolemy Grey by Walter Mosley. I'm not quite finished with it, but barring an awful ending, it's also on its way to 4 out of 5 stars.

That's all, folks. I'm off to my happy place tomorrow! Enjoy your weekend!

No comments: