Wednesday, June 9, 2010

There are Three Good Reasons to Be a Teacher

This is a shout-out to all you teachers. Especially you crazy folks dedicated saints who work in the elementary schools. Today I went on Abby's third grade field trip to Longwood Gardens, and the most valuable lesson I learned wasn't about the flora or fauna. Instead I learned that I made an excellent career choice when I chose not to become a teacher.

I've been on plenty of field trips over the past six years, but for some reason today was different. I think I was in a bad mood. I'd kinda been roped into chaperoning. I was wasting taking a vacation day that I would have preferred to use at the beach. I had a lot of work to do in the office. And, I've got a million three other school events this week.

To add to my already irritated state, I was stuck in the group with the chaperoning dad and no teacher. We were left all alone with eleven third-graders. I think I'd have done better with the same number of ex-cons. They might have at least flirted with me to keep things interesting. Instead, I had to:
  • Spell stuff ("chrysalis")
  • Deal with disappointment ("Sorry, we won't have time to make it to the third treehouse")
  • Remind them that they weren't the only visitors in the park ("Slow down. Watch where you're going. Try to avoid trampling other guests!")
  • Reprimand ("Please stop playing with your water bottle; it's distracting")
  • Provide updates on the time ("Only 10 more minutes till lunch; will you make it without passing out?")
  • Entertain the lone ranger ("I'll stay with Susie-Q while the rest of you go through the maze")
  • Manage potty breaks ("Anyone else have to go...AGAIN?")
And don't even get me started on the noise level on the bus or the kid sitting in front of me who had such bad gas we had to open the windows so as not to asphyxiate anyone. 

I don't know how you teachers do it. The patience. The empathy. The genuine love and care you show day-in and day-out. I'm in awe; I salute you; and I deem each and every one of you a Freakin' Angel. Enjoy your well-deserved summer off!

[P.S. I'll buy a drink for the first person who responds to this post (in the blog comment section) with the three good reasons to be a teacher!]

8 comments:

Emily said...

1. summers off
2. summers off
3. summers off

But I think you already said that. Oh -- there is that whole value you get out of shaping America's future thingy too. Ill buy you a drink for the post -- and the fact that the rest of us have to work this summer.

A "Freakin' Angel" said...

Emily, you're very, very close. I'm looking for something a bit more specific...But I'll take that drink with you anyway. Enjoy NY.

Beth Reilly said...

1. hilarious family "secret" stories
2. the awe and innocence of the 1st graders
3. seeing my kids are better behaved then the children we teach!

A "Freakin' Angel" said...

Beth, your responses are great, but not what I was looking for. Free drink next time I see you in Easton, just for being you!

Bob Alek said...

1. Incredible daily power trip, as you bend a room full of people to your will.

2. Excessively large compensation package.

3. Fabulous opportunities for personal growth and professional advancement.

BHaasTSD said...

1. I got an email the other day from the social worker at my old school in RI about a demon-child, I mean student, who was about to graduate and said, "I wish Ben was here to see this."

2. I was once waited on at Wendy's drive-through by another demon-child, I mean student, who was working two jobs to help provide for her child, but still was making time to attend college knowing that it would ultimately lead to a better life for both of them. She thanked me for helping keep her on track to graduate.

3. I know somewhere among my current crop of demon-children, I mean students, there is another person who needs me and I will be able to help even if they don't realize it until years later and I may never find out about it.

Vodka and OJ is my preferred drink. I'll be at the Riverside on 611 on the 18th.

A "Freakin' Angel" said...

Ben, I love your answer, and while it's not the one I had in mind, I definitely owe you a drink for that. You are what's right about teachers.

And for the rest of you, the answers were "June, July, and August."

Mark said...

I think you owe Emily the drink. And though you already gave the answers I feel the need to give you three guesses anyway, but now I can really be freeform:

1) Malabar

2) The airspeed of the average coconut laden European swallow

3) Monkeys!!!!