Monday, July 19, 2010

A Hug from a Stranger and a Lesson in Gratitude

In my last post I shared an unfortunately memorable moment from the Anaheim portion of our vacation. I'm sorry for leaving you like that. Today, I'm pleased to say that I have a happy experience to tell you about.

During our stay in Rancho Mirage (a.k.a. the desert) we hit Soak City, a Knotts Berry Farm water park. Nothing to write home about as far as water parks go, but any place to stay wet is welcome when it's 114 degrees. Yes, seriously, it was 114. A cold snap followed the next day, however. It was only 113.

One of the slides at the park required a three-person raft and ahead of me in line was a young girl, probably between the ages of 10-13. She was alone and managed to drag that massive raft up the hill in the heat, only to find out when she reached the launch point that she couldn't ride alone. Since it was only Rob and me on our raft, we offered her an invitation to join us which she gladly accepted. She laughed and squealed the whole way down and when we finished she thanked us for letting her ride with us. Then, she hugged me. Wow. Who knew a hug from a stranger could be a highlight from my vacation?

It occurred to me later that the reason that that hug meant so much is because it demonstrated not only the sweetness of a young girl, but gratitude and appreciation on her part. And sadly, gratitude and appreciation is generally in short supply for us parents. I realized that during our whole vacation my children never said "thank you" once despite being treated to non-stop fun.

The good news is that my kids know how to be good guests and say please and thank you when they're with others, but what a treat it would be if they showed their appreciation to their mom and dad. I suppose what's really sad is that I've grown accustomed to not being thanked. And they've grown accustomed to expecting a good time, a thoughtful gesture, or a treat, without regard to the sacrifice being made.

I think teaching our children to be thankful and grateful is one of the most difficult aspects of parenting. Any advice from Freakin' Angel readers out there?

No comments: