Monday, February 14, 2011

For the Romantically Challenged on Valentine's Day

It's Valentine's Day. I'm thinking I should write something about love. Or romance. Or the Hallmark conglomerate. But I feel so unqualified to write on these topics. The thing is, I'm not the lovey-dovey or romantic type. And it's not just because I'm busy working, raising children, feeding our four-legged friends, taking care of a home, and trying to avoid outgrowing another pair of jeans. I think I've always been romance-averse. For example:
  • I recall no childhood fondness for Disney princesses and princes on white steeds. I guess I never felt the need to be rescued.
  • In high school, if the boy I liked sent me a love letter and it had any misspellings, the romance was over before it started. I think I may have circled the errors in red pen and returned to sender.
  • As a young girl, I never fantasized about my wedding day which books, movies, and reality-based wedding shows would have you believe every girl grows up dreaming of.
  • I don't love chocolate.
  • Or champagne.
  • I don't see the point of negligees. 
  • Or decorative pillows on the bed.
  • I don't need to snuggle afterward.
  • I don't like to cook for my man. Or my kids, for that matter.
  • I think greeting cards are stupidly expensive and I only buy them for my husband because he buys them for me.
  • I once threatened to beat my husband if he ever bought me ridiculously over-priced roses on Valentine's Day.

Dear Lord, I'm like the Grinch who stole Valentine's Day!

I guess my only saving grace is that Rob and the kids know I love them because:
  1. We tell each other "I love you" everyday.
  2. We occasionally slow dance in the kitchen.
  3. I regularly do the laundry and clean the house.
  4. We're good huggers.

And, really, my husband gets off easy because I'm so low maintenance (at least where affection and romance are concerned).

For those of you who are making your loved one tiramisu, writing him or her a poem, or producing a special video love note, I salute you. May everyday be Valentine's Day in the rose-colored world you live in!

1 comment:

Andria said...

Oh my, "a special video love note"--that almost made me laugh out loud! I also love your reference to bad grammar in high school love letters. Michael and I corresponded via email for a couple of weeks before we met, and I have always told him that he won me over with his good grammar!