Monday, March 7, 2011

Be Nice to Me. You Know how Sensitive I am.

By now we know that I can be a little sensitive. Which is ironic given how insensitive I can be toward others. But this isn't about others, it's about me. Me, me, me!

Today, I was insulted. And this insult got me thinking about the other times I've been insulted. Not that I'm keeping a list. Or at least I wasn't till I started thinking about it and then I found I had a list neatly tucked in that little corner of my brain that is reserved for pent up hostilities, bitterness, and grudge-holding.

So let me put today's insult in context. Over the weekend I bought this cute little tunic top from my friend Kelly who sells Jockey clothes (which are awesome, by the way). It's long and stretchy and super comfortable and the first top I've found that I can legitimately wear with leggings (in other words, it covers my behind and enough of my upper thighs to not be offensive). I wore it to church yesterday and actually had two friends tell me I looked cute and stylish. They didn't add "for the first time ever," though I know they were thinking it. But that wasn't the insult.

The insult came today at work when, wearing the same outfit, my colleague asked "Is this a new look for you?" And then proceeded to tell me that she heard about leggings that will help you lose weight if you wear them all the time. Now that I think about it, I may have been insulted twice there. 1) "Is this a new look for you" without being followed up with "I think it's cute," is definitely insulting and 2) She may have been suggesting I should get the leggings that would help me to lose weight.

Like I said, this indirect insult got me thinking about others, including this much more direct doozie from a former coworker (there must be something in the water here in Valley Forge):

Her: "Kim, do you wear makeup?"
Me: "Not much. Why, should I?"
Her: "YES."
Alrighty then. At least that woman had a reputation for being blunt and offensive.

Other comments I find insulting include:
  • "Did you get a haircut?" When not followed by, "It looks nice," it's really the equivalent of saying "what the hell did you do that for?"
  • When looking at a not-so-recent picture of you: "You were so pretty."
  • When viewing your landscaping or home: "This is going to look great when you're done with it." And unfortunately, you thought were done with it.
So there you have it. Next time you see me, try to avoid noticing a change about me without saying it's awesome. You know how sensitive I am.

2 comments:

James Wood said...

Kim, WOW! this has got to be the most amazing post you've ever written. It's Awesome!! - :)

Emily said...

I know this blog is all about you You YOU and I hate to say it but... those last set of comments would insult anyone. Although I ALWAYS consider the source. Anyone who feels better about putting someone else down -- ESPECIALLY when she is such a good, sweet, and attractive person like yourself -- needs alot of help. Is the legging offender the type who does this? If not, maybe she didnt mean it in a mean way? You probably have a good sense for this so only choose to be offended if it warrants -- otherwise, choose not to be - its so much less heavy.