Friday, March 11, 2011

God Sightings in a Time of Grief

I have a friend who has been to hell and back over the past couple years. Yet nearly every time I see this amazing woman she's telling me that "God is good." She has an incredible ability to see God in the little blessings that come her way and I am in awe of her strength and her spirit.

I've seen God a good deal myself the last few days and these God sightings have been a source of comfort and joy for me in what otherwise has been a sad and difficult time. While losing Maddie has been much more painful than I could have anticipated, I have been truly blessed by the love and support of family and friends, including:
  • Phone calls and cards expressing condolences even from those who have never lost a pet
  • Poems and stories of hope, heaven, and reuniting somewhere over the Rainbow Bridge
  • Flowers from three Freakin' Angels (Rebecca, you're an honorary FA), just when I thought I couldn't bear the drab and dreariness any longer
  • Kind words and advice from long lost classmates on Facebook
  • A sweet note and massage gift certificate from a friend who wanted to help relieve my stress
  • Dinner with friends who didn't want me to be home alone last evening after Rob left for Spring Training
  • Lunch with a Freakin' Angel today
And I think the best gift I've been given in this experience has been seeing my children handle our loss with such grace and tenderness. They've been tender and kind not only to me, but to each other, demonstrating a gentleness that I didn't think was possible. Ian even told Abby he loved her the other night at bedtime. And they both will reach out to touch me or hug me when even a fleeting look of sadness passes over me.

Yes, each thought of Maddie still hurts, but I've been blessed by so many who have reminded me how much she loved me and more importantly, how much they love and care for me. Thanks for all you've said and done.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Im so glad you are catching glimpses of love in this tough time. I know you would do the same for anyone so consider it well earned.

PS I still think the $2 margaritas were a mistake.