Thursday, December 29, 2011

The Popcorn was Better than Some of the Flicks

It was not a great movie year and the holdays did not bring out the big hitters like they usually do. In fact, I only went to the theater four times in the past week. Those four flicks included:
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
  • We Bought a Zoo
  • Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol
  • Sherlock Holmes
They were all...good, fine, okay. None of them blew me away. Maybe it's me, maybe my expectations are too high? Of all the movies I saw in 2011, here are my top 10:
  1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2. A fitting tribute to a remarkable series.
  2. Crazy, Stupid Love. Ahhh...
  3. The Descendants. George Clooney is George Clooney regardless of the role he's in (does that make sense?) The good news is that George Clooney is always exceptional. This movie is powerful with well-timed moments of humor that make the heaviness bearable.
  4. Crazy, Stupid Love. A stellar romantic comedy? This is one of the best. LOVE Emma Stone. "Seriously? It's like you're photoshopped!"
  5. The Help. Loved the book, thought the movie did it justice.
  6. Ides of March. Second movie with Ryan Gosling. This is no coincidence.
  7. Super 8. Fun, action-packed, Stand by Me meets E.T.
  8. Bridesmaids. Not the raunch fest I expected. Lots of laughs with surprising heart.
  9. Horrible Bosses. Jennifer Aniston at her best.
  10. Win Win. You can always count on Paul Giamatti to deliver a fine performance. This is one of the more moving films I saw this year.
  11. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.  Also a faithful translation from book to film. Great acting. Not sure whether I liked it as much as the Swedish version.
To be fair, I didn't meet my movie quota for the year. There are still a bunch I want to see that may very well be top 10 material. These include:
  • The Muppets
  • Moneyball
  • Tree of Life
  • The Artist
  • Midnight in Paris
  • Drive (#3 with Ryan Gosling, no coincidence)
  • War Horse
  • Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close
This post is ripe for your comments. Let's hear 'em!

4 comments:

Karen A. said...

Well....I've only seen 1 on your list-Harry Potter. Guess I need to get out more! We did see the Muppets and it did not disappoint. Nate confirmed that it is, in fact, his favorite movie:)

theresa said...

Win Win was my favorite movie of the year, easily!

Michelle Janes said...

A few comments for ya' . . .

First, my cousin saw War Horse, sobbed through the whole thing, and left the movie exhausted. Apparently it's not the winter break "feel-good" flick . . . at least not for animal lovers.

Second, I know several people who have seen Tree of Life and they seem to have strong opinions about it. The artsy types love it, most others hate it (or weren't awake to notice). I myself have not seen it yet but my artsy friends pity me because I now must watch it on the small screen.

Thanks for your post--now I'll check out some of these titles that I haven't seen. Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Midnight in Paris - just wonderful. See it with friends and have fun identifying all the famous historical people before the movie names them.