Monday, August 8, 2011

Don't Mean to Be Dissing Swift, but...

In what can only be described as a suspicious set of circumstances, I ended up at the Taylor Swift concert on Saturday night. My plans for the evening had included a Drum Corp International competition with Ian while Rob took Abby to see Tae Tae in a Phillies client-entertaining outing. As it happened, however:
  • My drum corp show was rained on
  • Rob's client decided to send his kids to the concert without him
  • Rob's back just happened to be killing him
So yours truly got drafted into seeing TS.

I didn't think I minded; I like those "Love Story" and "You Belong to Me" songs, after all. But then I sat in stupid traffic trying to get there. And they took my umbrella at the security checkpoint (???). And I saw throngs of young girls with their super short jean shorts and their cowboy boots and they made me feel old. And I sat through one boy band followed by some rockabilly band. And I waited another 30 minutes after they finished for the main attraction to appear.

Her signature smile
And then Taylor over-the-top flirted with the audience (making my flirting look amateurish) with a phony looking smile and Bambi eyes that said "I know I'm insanely beautiful." And she shared a bunch of sensitive, "I love you guys" stuff that I wasn't buying couldn't make out because I'm losing my hearing. And she tossed her hair about a zillion times for God knows what reason. And I decided I'd much rather be listening to Taylor Swift on the radio than watching her there in Lincoln Financial Field.

Given that my idea of a perfect concert is an Indigo Girls performance, I should have known the TS event wasn't going to be my thing. Yes, she's a good singer with decent lyrics (if you think getting the boy to belong to you/marry you is the answer to all your problems), but her show was just that. A show. It was as much about the set and costume changes, the back up dancers, the lighting, and the fireworks as it was about the music. Every tilt of her head, every smile, every bat of her fake lashes seemed choreographed and artificial. Had she been in a Nashville bar, stripped of the spectacle, I probably would have enjoyed listening to her.

So many of today's performers are packaged. Put in their money-making box and dressed up and trotted out as the music executives see fit. There's little that's authentic about them. Little that says they sweated and failed and worked hard in rundown bars to make it to where they are today. Compare that to singers and bands like REM, or Bruce Springsteen or even the Dave Matthews Band. While they put on impressive "shows" it's still about the music.

And then there are my Girls. The Indigo Girls. Their concerts are no more (and no less) than listening to great music, with powerful lyrics, performed in perfect harmony by two incredible guitar-playing singer-songwriters, surrounded by a few thousand of their loyal fans.

I'm sure everyone has an opinion on this topic (particularly you rabid obsessed  big Taylor Swift fans), so let  the debate begin!

3 comments:

James Wood said...

Kim - I would LOVE to discuss this topic at length with you over a few brews some day. I feel EXACTLY the same way.

It's very hard for me as a musician to see what's going on in music today. Way too much emphasis on sex and dance moves then on the music. It's very sad.

I heard it took 12 songwriters and 6 producers to make Brit Brit's new album a success. She couldn't sing a lick of it live but it doesn't matter. It's all about selling as much product as possible.

I love how you are big into the Indigo Girls. Reminds me of my love of REO Speedwagon. I see them as often as possible because, like the Girls, ever since the beginning they've always been about one thing: the music.

They go years in between making records (quite honestly it's probably because they'd never sell like they did in the past). But they continue to tour because of the music.

It's funny, I remember seeing Peter Cetera (of Chicago) at the State Theatre one night not too long ago. He had a flute player there who completely screwed up royally in the middle of one of his songs. She was playing something different and it sounded horrible. When they all discovered the mistake they stopped and everyone (including us in the audience) had a good laugh about it.

We're all human..it's music. You'd NEVER see that happen at a Taylor Swift or Brit Brit show...Nope, the vocal track they sing too would still be playing in the background.

Is Taylor Swift a good singer? I believe so. But I wonder how she'd be in a format like Indigo Girls or REO where there are no safety nets or choreography.

I could go on and on..Someday I really hope to when we have that beer.

Jim

Mark said...

I had no idea how you got Taylor Swift tickets last minute when I read this the first time. I thought Tae Tae was some panda at the Philly Zoo.

Just because I'm feeling opinionated today:

1) Nobody is worth seeing outdoors when it's 90 degrees with ridiculous humidity. I would go see the 1966 Beatles if they magically appeared if it was that hot out.

2) I've never seen Taylor Swift in person. I will say that she is clearly more talented than the average teen idol (think Miley Cyrus) because she writes her own lyrics and plays an instrument. I dig a lot of her more popular tunes, but I've liked the more recent ones less than the her earlier ones.

3) Agree about packaging. The maximization of profit is what the industry is all about. Unfortunately, a lot of that these days is about the public's unethical pirating of digital music. Artists rely more and more on merchandizing and concert ticket sales as a percentage of revenue than they did when people plunked down $14 at Listening Booth for a CD.

4) I think the girl is cute, but she has something weird going on and will never be a sex symbol. Potraying her that way is somewhat silly to me. Though I suppose John Mayer thought differently.

Bryce said...

As a person who just attended a Miranda Cosgrove concert last evening, I can understand and agree with you. Did my nine year daughter care about any of that? Absolutely not. She got to see her one of her tv favorites in person and that made it worth it. I saw no reason for two outfit changes (especially when all three were very similar). She did not have as much of a show than just singing, but it was still a choreographed show.

The opening act of Grayson Chance was much more about the songs. I am amazed at the stage presence of a 13/14 old, though. At 13/14 I could have never shown that much maturity and eloquence.

The next show I see (also at Musikfest) will be much better. Right Tim Butler?