Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Legs, Nail Polish, and Guinea Pigs

Yesterday I saw something on Facebook that made me feel a bit better about myself. And it wasn't related to weight loss, hot singles in my area, or the average salary for soldiers and teachers versus government employees. Surprisingly enough, I found comfort in a post by my dearest high school friend Kelly, whom I wouldn't typically look to for solace. (Our lives are quite different these days.)

During back to school shopping with her 7th grader, Kelly noted that she was jealous of how great her daughter looked in skinny jeans. If you knew Kelly, this would be laughable given that Barbie and Pamela Anderson have nothing on her where shapeliness is concerned. But anyway, it made me feel better that I'm not the only one envious of my little girl.

In the past year I've noticed with increasing alarm how grown up and pretty my daughter is becoming. And while I am embarrassed to admit it, I envy admire her strong, athletic legs and wish they were mine. Given that she's only 10, I'm afraid I may have to kick her out of the house when she's 15 just to avoid being reminded on a daily basis of my increasing age and her teenage beauty. Do all moms go through this?

There is additional evidence of Abby's unwelcome transition into young girlhood:
  • She requested our college-age babysitter accompany her back-to-school shopping instead of yours truly
  • Her bottles of nail polish now outnumber her stuffed animals
  • Monetary loans donations are no longer being spent on American Girl doll clothes, rather they are being used to establish her already popular Sticky Ducks business.
  • She no longer thinks it's neat having a funny, vivacious, and charismatic mom who will do anything for attention. Case in point, she's mortified embarrassed that I'm playing Holly Huckleberry in our church VBS production of Avalanche Ranch. This is despite all the critical acclaim and Oscar talk.
On a positive note, she still seems oblivious to boys however, there are still occasional sightings of my little girl. Last night, for instance, she fell asleep with me after shedding tears because her guinea pig Snickers is not eating well these days. Looks like I'm going to have to hold on to those precious mommy moments. I have a feeling they will become fewer and farther between.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Youre not the only one coveting Abby's legs! I too long for the day when my thighs didnt touch and I could sit on a chair with three other girls and we would all fit. Just remember, the opposite of having a beautiful daughter is NOT having one. You are a very lucky Mommy indeed.

Linda said...

Just wait for the prom, real bikinis, awesome hair -even after exercising, glowing youthful skin - even with pimples, cute hip clothes, yes the teenage beauty transformation is just around the corner for you. However, even 16 year olds like to paint their mom's nails in the latest purple shade or sit and enjoy an episode of Cake Boss together -enjoy all of it - well almost all of it! :)