Monday, August 15, 2011

Mr. Demille, I'm ready for my close up!

Tonight I make my big screen debut. I mean stage debut. Okay, it's actually more like a small platform, but still, it's mine, all mine. After years of being the bridesmaid and never the bride, I'm finally about to get my big break. Tonight, yours truly is starring in the role of Holly Huckleberry in Avalanche Ranch!

Growing up I wanted to be Connie Chung, a photojournalist for National Geographic, or a Broadway star. I never took this Broadway ambition very seriously given my two left feet and lack of transportation to theater rehearsals, but I've never forgotten my dreams of the Great White Way. My teen years were a blur of barely worth mentioning theater appearances. Guys & Dolls. Leader of the Pack. Cinderella. And I would have nailed the role of Glinda the Good Witch in Wizard of Oz if I'd been able to accept the part. (I had tried out without parental approval. Some kids sneak smokes or drinks; I sneaked a musical audition.) But the past is behind me and I'm ready to make my mark!

Signs of my future stardom were evident most recently when I stole the show as the Evergreen Tree in the children's Christmas Eve service at Media Presbyterian Church. From there, it was only a matter of time until the powers that be recognized my potential and asked me to take on an even greater role in Vacation Bible School. See, each day of our week-long summer VBS program features an impressively high caliber opening and closing skit. To date, the best roles have always gone to the boys (the Presbyterian Church is very male-centric). They've played alligators, mad scientists, pirates, and a masked cheese bandit. This year, however, estrogen will take its place on center stage as I, Holly Huckleberry, blaze a new trail for drama queens everywhere.

Let me quickly introduce you to Holly (so she can get back to practicing her lines). Holly is a lonely little cowgirl with a sad smile, boots that are too big, and hair that's not quite long enough to braid. She's a newcomer at Avalanche Ranch and on her first night in town shows up at the Founder's Party without a gift. She's feeling just awful but as luck would have it, she's about to learn a valuable lesson at VBS that will turn her frown upside down! The rest of the week finds Holly fishing with the boys on Founder's Lake, dodging a mud storm at the Ranch, and ultimately committing a grave sin in the name of s'mores (yes, you read that right). It's an action-packed week, full of drama and suspense.

If you're in Delaware County, PA, I encourage you to bring your young 'uns out to Media Presbyterian Church at 6:00 p.m. tonight for the kick off of Avalanche Ranch and the debut of moi as Holly Huckleberry. Oh, and the kids will probably learn some stuff about God and Jesus, too. Bonus!

4 comments:

James Wood said...

Kim....are you looking for a guitar player for the pit band? I was GUITAR I in your Leader of The Pack performance. You may remember my shredding solo from Da-Doo-Ra-Run...Would love to have the opportunity to work with you again. Have your people call my people. I'm available last minute! :)

Andria said...

Sounds like great fun, Kim. I know you'll be great. Break a leg!! (No, please don't REALLY.)

Anonymous said...

"the Presbyterian church is very male centric..." I suddenly feel all my sensitivity training was for naught. Be careful-we can always write into the script that Comanches come and kidnap Holly

Cabogirl said...

The only thing that could enhance your performance is a Taylor Swift wig to whip around....you rock Holly!!!