Monday, August 29, 2011

My Sick Pig

This is getting ridiculous. Last week I was heavy-hearted, this week I'm just plain irritated. Finally Rob is out of my hair feeling good enough to go to work, and now I'm stuck with an ailing guinea pig.

Abby's guinea pig Snickers has been under the weather for over a week now. First, his food consumption decreased noticeably. Then, not surprisingly, he was pooping less. And his overall demeanor was off. He's usually a happy, sociable little guy who likes to chew on the bars of his cage. (It sounds like he's banging away on an old fashioned typewriter.) And he has a cute little piggy mouth that seems to be smiling most of the time. Charming fellow, that Snickers.

Well, being that I was busy playing Florence Nightingale to my better half and had more important things to deal with, I didn't make too much out of Snickers self-imposed diet and lack of interest in us. Figured maybe the Funkapotomus had paid a visit to him too. But over the weekend, our piggy gave us more cause for concern:
  • General lethargy; he just laid there and looked at us with sad, crusty eyes
  • Sneezing and coughing
  • Heavy breathing (particularly noticeable while we were all sleeping as one big cozy family in the basement during Irene)
Abby was terribly upset by Snickers decline, and since it takes a lot to upset Abby (she's the stoic one in this family), I decided it was time for action.  Before going to bed last night I made the mistake of researching guinea pig illnesses online, and it was dismal as hell wasn't encouraging. Based on his symptoms, I diagnosed Snickers with an Upper Respiratory Infection, but the website noted that a sick guinea pig rarely gets well. I slept lousy, dreaming of guinea pig funerals, got up this morning and was on the phone by 8 a.m. making a most likely futile appointment with the vet.

Two hours (1.5 of which were spent in the waiting room), a massive allergy attack, and $115 later, I'm here with a hopefully recovering Snickers who endured a force feeding of baby food, a thermometer you-know-where, a front teeth trimming (?), a nail clipping, and a fluid injection into his side. I came home equipped with a small mammal pharmacy, including:
  • Antibiotics and a dropper to dispense it 
  • Yogurt (with dropper) to feed him after the antibiotics so he doesn't get diarrhea
  • Jars of carrot baby food and a dropper to use for feedings every six hours
  • A tube of nutrient gel to mix into the carrots
  • Eye drops
  • Broccoli (which he'll have to share with us)
I drew the line at the Vitamin C tablets she wanted me to crush up and mix into his food. Vitamins are expensive. 

Let's just say this is more than I would do for most of my family members people I know.

The bottom line is this. If in a few short days Snickers is not recovered, chances are slim that he will get well. And to be honest, I'd really miss him. And more than that, I hate to see Abby cry. So let's all say a prayer for the little guy, okay? 


Our friend, Snickers, pretending to eat for the camera

4 comments:

Marcia Z. Nelson said...

couldn't resist reading this tale. Snickers is a handsome lad, er, pig. When I was young, I insisted on taking my small dime-store turtle to the vet. It didn't save him, as I recall. But due diligence was done.

Debbie Kenney said...

I went through the same kind of thing with one of kara's guinnea pigs (spending a lot at the vet for a rescue pet) and hers did recover ( although we may have gone sooner than you). I remember that we were talking about It at thanksgiving dinner and an uncle was giving her a hard time for spending so much money on a pet that cost very little. She responded with something like "just because something doesn't cost a lot doesn't mean it isn't worth a lot". We were very proud of her!

Emily said...

You are a good soul. I don't think I want to know how one force feeds a guinea pig but if any one can do it -- you can! I will say a prayer for Snickers. And for you.

Andria said...

Make sure you get some photos of yourself feeding him baby food with a dropper...that's sure to be a classic! Truly, though, you are a sweet, sweet Mom to take this care for Abby's dear guinea pig.