Monday, September 19, 2011

But then there was Elvis

After the loss of Snickers, Rob being down for the count for what felt like forever, and Ian struggling with an upper respiratory virus that caused him to miss four days from the first two weeks of school, I was sorely in need of a vacation. Or at least a mini-getaway. And Rob, knowing what a bitch bear I can be when I don't get enough me time, graciously (or perhaps eagerly) told  me to go. So on Friday evening I took off for Waretown, New Jersey, the latest hot spot for 40-something soccer moms. My goal for the next 24-hours was nothing but rest, relaxation, and a bit of boating and fishing with mom and dad.

Waretown Elvis
But then Elvis came to town.

When I called to let my parents know I'd be arriving later than anticipated, I knew I was in trouble when dad said, "We're at the Lighthouse Tavern. Elvis is here. We'll save you a seat." What? Save me a seat? It will be 10:00 p.m. That's my bedtime. This was supposed to be a quiet getaway involving a great deal of sleep. But leave it to Elvis to muck things up.

The Lighthouse Tavern in Waretown, NJ is your classic blue-collar bar with men and women of all ages, shapes, and styles. Women in acid-washed jeans and knee high suede boots show up with guys in offensive t-shirts and a great deal of ink. Pear-shaped 60-somethings hoot and holler and try to keep their hairspray soaked stylings away from open flames, and of course Norm has his own corner of the bar. A generously-sized take-out refrigerator holds six packs of Bud Light and Coors, Busch and Keystone Light. And if peach schnapps or a small bottle of whiskey is what you're looking for they have that for take out as well. The wood paneling is adorned with a generous helping of neon beer signs and NASCAR posters, and the televisions are all tuned to New York sports (despite being located closer to Philadelphia). A shuffleboard table and dart board round out the interior design. If you're looking for a great burger and a good time, the Lighthouse Tavern is the place to be.

Mom & Kim in black & white so you can't see Kim's beady red eyes
And tonight, Elvis was in the building. I had heard my parents talk about him for years but had never seen him myself. Regardless of my need for sleep, you just don't miss local Elvis. I put on my rally cap and my big girl panties and slid into the booth next to my mom who promptly ordered me a beer. When we weren't singing along with Elvis, my parents and I caught up on what's happening with my kids, my husband, my sister, and me. We checked out the sights and raised our eyebrows and had a few laughs at others' expense (we're mature that way). And when the regulars finally stopped hogging the shuffleboard table, I challenged dad to a game. And he commenced instructing me, correcting me, and basically kicking my ass in a 15-7 win. You'd be impressed to hear how often dad offers instruction/judgment evaluation correction/ass kicking, but that's another blog post.

"Samboogie" Nightcap
A night at the bar with mom and dad can only end one way. With a sambuca nightcap. Mom says I need to learn how to drink the stuff because I prefer to keep my distance from it. I think it's funny that my mom is encouraging me to bring new alcohol to my imbibing repertoire. But maybe next weekend I'll give it a try. Johnny Cash will be performing on Saturday night at the Lighthouse Tavern...

No comments: