Thursday, June 21, 2012

Happily Handing Over the Reins

Every summer, arranging for "child" care becomes more challenging. At age 14, Ian doesn't see why he needs a babysitter, but the idea of having Ian "watch her" does not appeal to Abby at all. The reality is that my kids need less caring for and more chauffeuring and refereeing. It's also important for me to know someone is at the house to keep Ian from going into a technology stupor and to make sure he eats something other than fruit snacks and Lucky Charms. And, it's best to have adult supervision so Abby doesn't take it upon her overly mature self to monitor (and discipline) Ian's teenage behavior. Basically, I hire a "babysitter" to ensure my kids will be alive when I return home from work. And on the days I work from home, the babysitter makes sure I don't kill my children when they get on my last nerve. Easy peasy.

2012 tag-team, Summer and Shane
(they're the ones in the middle)
For six or seven years now I've been selecting one incredibly lucky young adult from my church family to assume the position of summer child care provider. It's been one excellent choice after another, though each kid has had a favorite along the way (we won't name names). Our distinguished alumni include Laura Jean, followed by her brother Kevin, admirably replaced by Nicole, then Julianna. This summer, we've hired the brother-sister tag team of Shane and Summer. The word from our clients? Two thumbs up. Ian is a big Shane fan because they can relate man to man (or he's really nice and easy going, something like that), and Abby already has a list of reasons why Summer is da' bomb.

In three days time, Summer has enabled Abby's slightly neurotic non-stop action tendencies. Together they have:
  • Gotten Abby's hair cut (shorter than I would have been able to convince her to go)
  • Baked cookies in the shapes of letters to spell out "Welcome Home, Shane" (now that I think about it, they may have forgotten to make the comma, though I did see an exclamation point).
  • Rode bicycles
  • Worked on Abby's front flip on the neighbor's trampoline (after seeing Bob & Joanne's daughter combine the flip with a soccer ball throw in, Abby is now determined to master the move)
  • Played life-size Jenga
  • Had a funky house key made at Deal's (an old style Woolworth type store for you out-of-towners)
  • Gone to the pool
  • Gone out for yogurt
  • Gone out for water ice (Ian joined them for this one)
And just to be certain there's never a dull moment, Abby has created a list of the other things they are going to do this summer, including:
  • The Zoo - apparently a Shane favorite
  • Camping in the backyard (does anyone have a tent we can borrow?)
  • Soccer tournament
  • Phillies game and Union game (we know people...)
  • Kayaking and tubing
  • Bowling (tentatively scheduled for this Friday)
  • Movies
  • Duct tape stuff
  • Hula hooping
And there's more, but this post is already getting pretty long and I haven't even covered what I love about my summer help.

A clean house.

What children and husbands do not understand is that a mom coming home to a clean house is likely---according to scientific research---to be at least 12.8 times more pleasant than a mom returning to a messy abode.

In just three days, I can tell you that Summer is the best at making sure the kids square their sh!t away (that, or she's squaring it away for them, in which case we need to talk). When Abby bakes sans Summer, she throws all the dishes in the sink for me to wash or load in the dishwasher, and she leaves a nice coating of flour and sugar on the kitchen counter. When Abby bakes with Summer, I see nothing.  Except cookies. And occasionally dead people, but that's a different post.

Summer is also a miracle worker with laundry. While our boy Kevin had been an ace at folding (and ironing, if I recall correctly), Summer has mastered bed sheets. I still have not, nor will I ever, master bed sheet folding.

In addition to the clean factor, my summer help allows me to avoid my least favorite mom task: running errands. Honestly, I'd rather clean the bathroom then run errands. Don't ask me why.  Teens, however, don't mind jumping in the car and going to a multitude of spots to return things, pick up and drop off children, shop for groceries, or go to the orthodontist (today at 3:30, don't forget). And it seems Summer, in particular, is inclined to stop for treats along the way. The kids win; I win; and Summer and Shane get paid.

Here's hoping your summer is looking as carefree as mine!




1 comment:

R. Irwin-Diehl said...

I just wanted to say, THANK YOU FOR USING THE CORRECT SPELLING OF REINS!!! :-)