Tuesday, June 19, 2012

A Lesson in Living!

I have a lot of really terrific friends. Good people. Nice people. Funny people. Successful people. Healthy and fit people. Smart people. And as I mention way too often in my blog posts, there are certain qualities my friends' possess that make me childishly jealous I wish I could claim for myself. Despite all their wonderful traits, however, there is no one I'd actually do a Freaky Friday-like switch with if given the opportunity.

Until now.

Rob and I spent part of the last two weekends with one of his childhood friends and his wife -- Bob and Joanne. I want Rob and I to be them when we grow up (though they actually aren't any older than us).

Bob and Joanne have the standard issue good kids, nice home, great careers, cute dog, and triathlon experience (Rob ran his first triathlon with Bob on Father's Day), but they have something extra that's hard to define, but probably best summed up as "Joie de vivre" or "zest for life."

Bob is one funny mother and one incredibly upbeat guy. Based on our brief time together I get the sense he works hard (when not challenging his coworkers to bocce ball) and plays hard. Last weekend we tailgated together before the Phils/Orioles game and this guy clearly knows his way around a tailgate. He came equipped with grill and full size propane tank, tables, chairs, shrimp, chicken, salsa, drinks, full kit of cooking utensils, bean bag toss, radio, generator, coolers...you name it; he had it. During the game, the only disappointment Bob expressed was at my failure to dive for the foul balls....five sections away. The Phils literally dropping the ball, again, didn't hamper his enthusiasm.

This past weekend, we once again enjoyed a day at Casa de Fun with the ultimate host and hostess.  I believe our afternoon together could best be described as a family reunion, without the hassle of family. Bob and Joanne offered us:
"Take me away again..."
  • Unlimited ice cream and other frozen treats
  • Margaritas a la "Margaritaville"
  • An outdoor deck which rivaled my living room for comfort and flowery ambiance
  • An outdoor sound system
  • A fire pit for roasting marshmallows
  • Baggo - the official bean bag toss game
  • A soccer board and net for Abby to practice on
  • A demonstration by their teenage daughter Alyssa on how to do a forward flip/soccer ball throw in (a ridiculously impressive move)
  • Bocce
  • Hot tub
  • Lasagne, bread, and fresh mozzarella with home grown basil and tomatoes
  • Clean sheets and towels for our slumber and shower
  • Wii, Xbox, and internet access for the kids
  • Life-size Jenga (and they made one for us to take home)
  • Croissants for breakfast
I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

After the triathlon on Sunday, we sadly packed up our things to head home to our considerably less exciting abode. Before we left town, we enjoyed lunch with Bob and Joanne. As expected after a tiring day of swimming, running, and riding, Bob said he was looking forward to some down time.  Riding off with Joanne, to a winery, on his motorcycle.

Next year I'm spending my week's vacation at their house. Some people just know how to live!

Our Fun Hosts, Joanne and Bob


No comments: