Thursday, July 26, 2012

43 Things I've Learned

On my 40th birthday, some smart ass coworkers changed the name plate on my office door to "Kim Shimer, 40." I enjoyed being 40 for a couple of years until some smart ass coworkers decided I needed an update:

This change was made a couple months ago, before today, my 43rd birthday. I argued that ages 42-43 are not mid-40s. Technically 45 is mid-40s, but I'll give you 44-46. Either way, I'm not in my mid-40s.

The bad news is that getting older is bothering me more than I thought it would. The good news is that I've learned a lot in the past 40+ years, including:
  1. Liking my kids feels even better than loving them.
  2. You can't go wrong if you marry your best friend.
  3. It's nearly impossible to be unhappy at the shore.
  4. Riding rollercoasters and jumping ocean waves will keep you from getting old.
  5. The harder you laugh, the better you feel.
  6. Movies should be an interactive experience.
  7. It's not all about me. (I'm still adjusting to this one.)
  8. Seeing dolphins at the shore or a deer in my backyard is always a special occasion.
  9. True friends love you even when the Funkapotomus has been visiting for an extended period.
  10. I am a lousy dog owner.
  11. Some people should never have to "do math" and I am one of them.
  12. My ability to be sociable generally has a time limit so if I go to bed while you're still at my party don't take it personally.
  13. Fresh bed sheets are one of life's greatest pleasures.
  14. Books are one of life's greatest treasures.
  15. When I think of the youth and young adults I know, I believe the future is in very good hands.
  16. I'd rather exchange life stories than make idle chitchat.
  17. There are very few truly important issues that can be seen in black & white.
  18. Properly loading a dishwasher is a lost art and one that few men ever discover.
  19. A girl's girlfriends are one of life's greatest gifts.
  20. Jesus loves me.
  21. Even really intelligent children are incapable of throwing out their trash, replacing the toilet paper roll, and putting dirty dishes in the dishwasher.
  22. A perfect weekend includes dinner with friends, a good book, a movie, and time spent working in the yard.
  23. Put stuff on your to do list that you've already done. You'll feel better.
  24. Bras and panty hose should be banned.
  25. Out of every three calls to 911, only one is justifed
  26. Fountain cokes, pork roll, mini-powdered donuts, and soft pretzels make a balanced meal.
  27. Someone needs to cheer, hoot, and hollar at children's sporting events. I find it's usually me.
  28. Speaking of children's sporting events, they shouldn't get trophies for just showing up.
  29. Some things are worth the money, like movie theater popcorn, hardcover classics, and school trips to Italy.
  30. It's a blessing to work for an organization where people prayer for each other.
  31. Regardless of how great your legs are, women of a certain age should not wear mini-skirts, especially when serving communion in church.
  32. Some of the nicest people I've ever met look like people you would cross the street to avoid.
  33. Strong is the new skinny. And I'm stronger than I ever imagined.
  34. When your dad does everything for you, you never learn how to do stuff yourself.
  35. My Pop Pop was right when he said putting on lipstick and singing (not necessarily at the same time) will make you feel better.
  36. We can't make our kids be who we want them to be, but if we give them room to grow they will find their place in this world.
  37. Different friends have different strengths. Some encourage you to do great things. Some give great hugs. The truly amazing can do both.
  38. We have had (ands still have) angels among us.
  39. Blogging is a lot more fun when people leave comments (hint, hint).
  40. Maintaining ones sanity requires getting away from it all as often as possible occasionally And it's okay if "all" includes your spouse and children once in a while.
  41. Never have I regretted going to the gym. I nearly always regret drinking a milkshake.
  42. I still have 20+ years until retirement.
  43. Everyone should be on Facebook just for the warm fuzzies you get when dozens of people wish you a happy birthday.
THANKS!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Kim,
I agree wholeheartedly with #31 and worry that #32 has something to do with you and me, as for #13 you are spot-on. If linens have had a day in sun and breezes on the line sleep will be as refreshing as a slow boat ride down a lazy river.
I must say I did the boycott for bras and panty hose over 40 years ago (it was the 70s).
As I sit here in my early 60s I shall posit this one for you. I believe blessed and true friendships happen even in grad school that lasts one year. Time and miles never truly can stop the appreciation for having had a good person touch your life. So I wish you, my dear smart, honest, impulsive friend, a happy birthday.

Emily said...

Great list!! And impressive only because I know you whipped those up in probably the space of 30 minutes -- or less? Interesting thing is that each one has an implication of some sort so reminding yourself of all these "truths" is a great exercise. Might try it for 44 Happy Birthday my dear friend!

Anonymous said...

Love this Kim. I learned so much about you in just that short list of 43. Hope to find out a lot more on Saturday. :)

Happy Birthday!