Monday, December 20, 2010

The Year in Review: Books!

It's time for Part 2 of my Entertainment Year-in-Review. Before I start my review of Best Books, however, I should note that this weekend Rob and I took in one of the "still to see" films from my Best & Worst Movies of 2010 list. We saw The Fighter, the boxing movie starring Mark Wahlberg and Christian Bale. I'm pleased to report that it's deserving of all the critical acclaim coming its way, primarily due to a stunning performance by Bale and Melissa Leo who plays mom and agent to the boxing brothers. It definitely deserves a place in my top 10 movies of the year.

Now, on to books, my not-so-guilty pleasure. Because I rarely rush out to read the newest releases, please note that most of these, while read in 2010, were published before this year:

  1. The Great Santini by Pat Conroy (1976) - This was a neighborhood book club read. I believe I recommended it, and was one of the few who actually enjoyed it. I gave it five stars on Goodreads, because I don't know the last time I read a book that moved me like this one. Pat Conroy does an amazing job of developing the most complex characters I've ever had the joy of meeting. The Great Santini should be on every book club's reading list because the opportunity for discussion is endless. 
  2. The Stieg Larsson series (2010) This is a love it or hate it series. I know a few women who couldn't get through The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and I must admit it nearly stalled about half way into it. Thankfully I stuck with it and fell for Lisbeth Salander, one of the most unique literary characters we've met in a long time. The series actually improved with each of the subsequent books, The Girl Who Played with Fire, and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest, which was actually my favorite.
  3. On Beauty by Zadie Smith (2006) - Zadie Smith is an amazingly gifted author who I can't wait to read more of. Issues of race, class, education, relationships, religion, language, art, and beauty emanated effortlessly from its pages. Not a book to read quickly but one to savor sentence by sentence.  
  4. Little Bee by Chris Cleave (2009) One of the most moving books I've read in a while. Little Bee is a superbly drawn character with a compelling and irresistible voice. 
  5. In the Woods by Tana French (2008) - I was never a mystery reader, but this year I found a couple in this "thriller/mystery" genre that I really enjoyed (including the Larsson series). In the Woods was one of them. This police procedural/ psychological thriller was completely absorbing with lots of character development and a really engaging narrator.   
  6. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows (2009) - This letter-based fictional book is every bit as charming and delightful as everyone says. A fun, quick read from which I fully expect a movie will be made.
  7. One Day by David Nicholls (2010) - This one was critically praised in a number of magazines and journals I read so I recommended it for my neighborhood book club. I don't know that any of us would list it as a favorite, but it was definitely a unique read with each chapter covering the same day in subsequent years in the lives of two intertwined characters. I enjoyed the book's creative storytelling and language, and found it to be honest and frequently heartbreaking.
  8. The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon by David Grann (2009) - One of the few non-fiction books I read this year, The Lost City of Z is about the disappearance of British explorer Percy Fawcett in the Amazon jungle and the author's attempts to discover what happened to him. It's a fascinating story that reads like fiction with death, deceit, intrigue, action, and plenty of adventure.
  9. The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible As Literally As Possible by A. J. Jacobs (2007) - Entertaining and educational! I learned a good deal about the Bible, particularly the Old Testament and Jewish custom, and had several good laughs at the same time.
  10. I'd Know You Anywhere by Laura Lippman (2010) - Another book club selection, I'm currently about a quarter of the way through this thriller that Stephen King included in his top ten of 2010. Not being a Stephen King fan that endorsement did nothing for me, however I get the sense that Lippman's book is going to pick up speed and become one of those that's hard to put down.
I read two books this year that left me cold including The Monster of Florence (2008) and Pillars of the Earth. The Monster of Florence is the true story of the hunt for a serial killer in Florence, Italy from the perspective of two journalists. It was ultimately unsatisfying because the book ended with no closure in the case. As for Pillars of the Earth, I realize I am in the minority in not loving, or at least liking this book. I know many of my friends think it among the best books ever written, but having suffered through all gazillion pages of this Ken Follett novel, I just didn't see the appeal.

Finally, loyal Freakin' Angel readers and Facebook friends know that 2010 was the year that Abby and I took on all seven books in the Harry Potter series, reading them aloud nightly. It was truly one of the highlights of my year, both for the time Abby and I spent together, and for the sheer delight that is the J. K. Rowling's masterpiece.

Time to share! What have you read this year that I need to add to my list?

Coming Wednesday, Part 3 of the Entertainment Year-in-Review, covering television, music, and social media... Stay tuned!

No comments: