Friday, December 31, 2010

Nothing Can Age a Girl Like a Mother/Son Outing

Among the many thoughtful gifts my husband gave me this Christmas were special outings for me with each of my children. My time with Abby later in January will include seeing Annie at the Media Theater, dining at our favorite Chinese restaurant, and a manicure and pedicure at a local salon.

My outing with Ian was last evening and our time together included game time and dinner at Dave & Buster's, tickets to the Blue Man Group, and post show dessert. More than 18 hours later, my brain is still tingling. Talk about your sensory overload. I'm not sure the combination of Dave & Buster's with the Blue Man Group is medically approved for anyone over the age of 30, maybe 35, tops. Individually they might be okay, but put them together and you have a brain hemorrhage or epileptic seizure waiting to happen.

Let's talk about the scam that is Dave & Buster's. First, they get you for $11.00 to park. Are you kidding me? Is it because everything inside is free or such a great value that you feel justified in charging me just to enter the establishment? Strike 1. Then you enter Hell's Dominion, a.k.a. the Million Dollar Midway. The Million Dollar Midway is filled with video games and games of chance, and many, many people who are willing to spend lots of money to win tickets for items which you could purchase for half as much in a store. And interestingly, most of the folks hanging out there look like they would do better to invest their cash in dental work or properly fitting jeans. Wow, that was a super snobby comment, but it's kinda funny so I'm going to leave it in and resolve to be nicer in the new year. The noise level in the Midway is deafening and the flashing lights induce migraines. Strike 2. When Ian and I decided to take a break from the grueling game playing fun and have dinner, we waited for about 15 minutes before I finally summoned a waiter. I don't like to be kept waiting when I'm hungry. Strike 3. Finally, to the teenage girls who seemed to be competing for shortest skirt bragging rights, does your mother know you're out looking like that? For shame. I thought the hussies in Vegas were bad, but at least they appeared to be of age.

Needless to say, Mom is not in a hurry to accompany Ian back to Dave & Buster's even though there's money remaining on the gift card and we never cashed in his tickets for an awesome prize. I think a Dad and Ian day is in order...

As for the Blue Man Group, well, simply put, they rock. Funny, interactive, talented. It felt like being at the coolest party ever. I must say I was surprised at the number of older adults in the audience. I'm pretty sure my parents would have considered it stupid or at least disturbingly loud. Ian, on the other hand, proclaimed it the "best concert" he's ever seen (I think it was his actually first concert...if you can even call it a concert).

Ian and I wrapped up our mother/son evening with dessert at Applebee's after we learned Così (for which we had yet another gift card) no longer offers any real desserts. We splurged on a giant chocolate chip cookie, covered with vanilla ice cream, oreo crumbles, and whipped cream. It was heavenly. I only wish the city of Philadelphia didn't require calorie and fat content on its menus. Nothing can ruin a perfectly good dessert like a calorie count.

All in all it was an overly stimulating, engaging, and memorable evening with my son whom I adore. Here's hoping he'll be up for more mother/son outings as he enters the cruel teenage years in 2011.

And speaking of 2011, Happy New Year to you and yours! Don't bother making any resolutions because you know you won't keep them anyway. You know me, just being honest!

No comments: