Monday, December 6, 2010

Looking for a Warm and Fuzzy Feeling this Christmas?

Had my very own Christmas miracle this past weekend. Remember how I revealed my inner Grinch last week, specifically referencing the yearly Christmas tree debacle? Well on Saturday the Christmas tree curse officially lifted. Rob, Abby, and I hit the usual Boy Scout Christmas tree lot and found a beauty, complete with nature's decorations -- pine cones, straw, and leaves. We took it home, set in the tree stand, and voila! It fit perfectly, requiring no sawing or shaving or cursing. And it actually stood straight from the get-go! And it wasn't too tall! I get a warm and fuzzy feeling every time I look at it.

You know what else gives me a fuzzy feeling this time of year? Doing something nice for others. Quit laughing, I'm serious. Want to feel fuzzy with me? Please join me in helping two families from my area who are spending this Christmas season in a domestic abuse shelter. After 30 days in the shelter they will move to an apartment with little more than the clothes on their backs. I'm asking all Freakin' Angels readers to provide kitchen supplies for these two families to take to their new apartments. Here's how you can help:
  • Purchase a kitchen item (plates, glasses, silverware, dish towels, bowls, pots, pans, etc.) and either:
    • Send it to me if you're out of town
    • Drop it off at my home if you're local
    • Let me know when and where to pick it up (we can do lunch!)
    • Drop it off at my parents' house in Palmer Twp if you're a Lehigh Valley friend
  • Send me a donation for a gift and I'll shop on your behalf
Thankfully most of us will never know what it's like to be without a safe and happy place to call home. Let's see if together we can make this Christmas just a wee bit brighter for two families in need.

Details: (I'm trying to be as private as possible with my contact info since this is out in cyberspace.)
  1. Sending a gift? Please plan to have it in my hands by 12/19/10. If you want me to shop for you, please send any monetary contribution by 12/17/10 (checks payable to Kim Shimer).
  2. My address for mailing: Kim Shimer, Judson Press, P.O. Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482. If you need a street address, please contact me.
  3. Interested in dropping something off at my parent's house?  Email me to make arrangements.
  4. To contact me to arrange a pick up or drop off, please send an email.
  5. Other questions? Send me an email or call me if you have my number.
Thank you all  in advance for your contributions. You really are angels!

6 comments:

Mary Ellen said...

Kim - message me if some gently used items would be appreciated. Mary Ellen

James Wood said...

Kim - Please message me your address...

Jim

Mo said...

Likewise, You can count me in for a contribution of new kitchen items, but I also could easily fill a box of gently used items from my own kitchen.

A "Freakin' Angel" said...

Thanks all. Regarding the used items, I've been told they can be donated to a local thrift-type store to which families from the shelter receive vouchers for free items. I'm happy to drop them off at the store for you, but for purposes of this Christmas gift, the items should be new.

BHaasTSD said...

If you want to maximize monetary donations, don't forget my wife works for IKEA. I might be able to swing a trip their with you to get some decent, already inexpensive stuff at a further discount. Just let me know.

Elizabeth Barbara said...

Wonderful - count us in, too, Kim. I'll bring it by your house this week.
Thank you!