Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Mothers Being Badly

Well it's no wonder I only got one comment on my last post (thanks, Jim). What a rambling, self-absorbed piece of frivolity that was! Sheesh. I'll be surprised if anyone comes back for more after that. Anyway, in case there's someone reading, I'd like to start out with a question...about you! Of course I'll eventually turn it back to me, but hey, it's my blog. And that kind of attitude is exactly what I want to talk about today. So here's my question: As an adult, do you ever behave like a brat?

Merriam-Webster defines brat as "a child; specifically an ill-manned, annoying child." Or, "an ill-mannered immature person."

I have to confess that I've been pretty bratty lately. And it's not PMS because I've been feeling this way for quite awhile now. I'm pretty sure, however, that bratty-ness is something I can blame on someone else. In other words, I'm only bratty when someone brings it out of me. Totally not my fault.

Case in point, a couple weeks ago I attended an event where someone I don't like was present. There are very few people I genuinely dislike, and even fewer I can't even fake it with. This person, however, falls into both categories. This presented me with an important decision as I considered my behavioral options:

  • Truly Trying
  • Charmingly Engaged
  • Faking Friendly
  • Cool & Aloof
  • Complete Avoidance
  • Downright Bratty

I won't tell you which option I went with. Let's just say I'm ashamed of myself. Really. I hate when I get like this and it lasts and lasts.

I encourage you to share your personal bratty story, just to make me feel better. And if you have a cure for bratty behavior, let me know!

P.S. Need proof of my bratty-ness? Today a friend and coworker told me I was being a brat, and she had no idea that was the topic of today's post. Sad, isn't it?

2 comments:

Rebecca Irwin-Diehl said...

I'm hear for you, my bratty friend! I've been a brat all my life, I fear. And I have a long history of projecting my brattiness on others! (I was only 4 or 5 when I informed the mother who lived next door that SHE was a brat. It took her almost 2 decades to forgive me--on my wedding day! Which, come to think of it, was pretty bratty of HER.)
I'm the worst kind of mother brat. "Stop yelling!" I've been known to shout at my children. My 12 year old accused me yesterday of hogging the TV (with only partial accuracy--only on weekends after noon!). I tell all my kids that being tired or feeling under the weather is no excuse for a short temper or bad attitude--when I'm the worst offender. And when the kids aren't around to blame, hey, there's always a spouse!
But really, as the only female in the house (except for the cat), I figure I'm entitled to occasional histrionics and general brattiness. It comes from having to close the toilet seat EVERY TIME I enter the bathroom!

Emily said...

I think we all have it within oursleves to be bratty. There is a certain connotation in "bratty" that suggests our behavior is unwarranted -- and that is all in the eyes of the beholder, isnt it? Still I like bratty better than bitchy -- there is a sassiness about bratty that I aspire to. :)