Wednesday, May 11, 2011

What about the Man?

The response to Monday's "You Call It Bigamy, I Call It a Break" post was overwhelmingly positive. Women seemed to support the idea and clearly see the benefits of having sister-wives. Interestingly, not a single man commented on my proposal. One would think that they would be thrilled with having a bevy of women to call their own. But then again, as my husband pointed out, "you'd have to remember all those birthdays." I believe in male-ese that translates into "you'd have to listen to exponentially greater amounts of nagging."

Those women who expressed an interest in joining me as sister-wives had just one question:
How do we select the man?
An excellent question, indeed. And I should note that not one of them suggested or requested their own husband. Interesting...

In the interest of harmony at home, I will recommend my husband, Rob MacPherson. He has a great deal going for him, including an excellent sense of humor, intelligence, a love of children (much greater than my own), an easy going nature, a good job, and access to Phillies tickets. I must warn you, however, that he can be volatile when hungry, lacking caffeine, watching the Phils lose, or attempting home repairs.

Understanding that my husband may not be every woman's cup of tea (though I can't imagine why), I do see value in my friend Emily's suggestion that we rotate them in and out. There are definite advantages to this approach:
  • We wouldn't get bored
  • They wouldn't get overwhelmed by having so many demanding, nagging different women to please
  • And most importantly, each man has something different to offer. For example:
    • Kim G.'s husband has home improvement skills
    • Dawn's husband likes to clean more than any woman I've ever met
    • Theresa's guy enjoys coaching sports teams and knows how to handle multiple boys as well as Sunday school classes
    • Rebecca's husband enjoys seeing Broadway musicals and also writing them!
    • Karen A's man is a chef (we may rotate him in more often than others)
    • Mo's husband enjoys boating and fishing (this is important to me, hence it makes the list)
    • Kim S.'s husband is like the Pied Piper. Kids just gravitate toward him.
    • Emily's husband can give surfing lessons and teach poetry writing
Please note that if I didn't include your husband in this list it's either because he is a Mets fan (there are some things that just aren't acceptable, even in bigamy), a "dumbass," or I couldn't think of anything off the top of my head. It's not because they have nothing to offer. I hope.

So there you have it, ladies. A foolproof plan to give ourselves a break and bond together with those who best understand and appreciate us. What could go wrong?

3 comments:

Kyle Stocker said...

I wrote out a comment the other day in reply to the original post, and made a mistake so I couldn't send it and I didn't have time to write it again. Here is basically what I wrote.
Several years ago I saw a television program featuring a Mormon family. 4 or 5 wives a good handful of kids nice big house looked like a nice place to be.
And then they interviewed the husband he was around my age 43. And he looked like he was pushing 60!!! HE LOOKED HORRIBLE!!
He looked like he hadn't had a minute of rest or peace in years.!! He talked about how the wives ‘sisterhood’ was nice and that they shared all of the normal chores and had a nice sorority and all he was called upon for was to play the referee every now and again!!!
But it didn't look as if HE WAS enjoying the Sisterhood much at all!!!
I know the 23-year-old version of me never understood why men would go to a men's only club to hang out "Why would you want to be away from women?" I wish I could have 3 or 4 to keep for myself all the time….. 20 years later and TV show on Mormon’s I think I understand...
One is more than enough for me thanks....
Guys think VERY HARD before you accept the challenge....
Perhaps an Amazon society?

Kyle

Joanzbenz said...

Now I'm in. Cleaning, cooking, kid care, poetry....is there a pool player on the list? Wine guy? Can anyone chop wood or build a fire? You're gonna need my husband to round out the list. He's got the last three items covered.

Anonymous said...

One condition. I must be able to cook what I want. I also must not need a job. I need time plan the meals. This sounds great! When do I start? I'll put in my notice immediately. Karen is very excited.
Dave