Monday, May 9, 2011

You Call It Bigamy, I Call It a Break

Mother's Day got me thinking about that West African proverb "It takes a whole village to raise a child." The "whole village" idea got me thinking about communes. Communes, however, can include more than one man. I figure women can get by, as a group, with only one man. To do the heavy lifting and mow the grass. Since a commune is out of the question because of that multiple men thing, I decided I'm willing to entertain the Mormon concept of sister wives. "Bigamy" has such a negative connotation, but the idea of sister wives holds definite appeal.

This is a shocking statement from a woman who, for more than half her life, overwhelmingly preferred the company of men to the company of women. I don't know whether it's marriage, motherhood, age, or all the Freakin' Angels in my life, but somewhere along the line, I switched allegiances. Now I can't imagine life without the ladies.

So back to this idea of sister wives. If you have close relationships with any of the women in your life, the advantages of this concept are obvious. Besides being more often relieved of certain wifely obligations and having regular breaks from the kids, the sister wives arrangement presents an opportunity to take the best from each other and play to one another's strengths. In thinking about just a few of the women I'd like to invite into my sister wives community, it's clear that we could cover a great deal of ground, improve ourselves individually, and raise some well-rounded and impressive children. Here's a sampling of what they have to offer:
  • Cathie - fashion sense and well-dressed children
  • Dawn - clean children
  • Karen - craft brew expertise and fitness training (an odd combination, I know)
  • Jen - creativity, science, teaching
  • Kim G. - kindness, thoughtfulness, and faith-building
  • Emily - college admissions (she's my Ivy leaguer) and advice for achieving professional success while raising a family
  • Mo - organizational skills and attention to detail
  • Theresa - cooking, knitting, sewing, nurturing
  • Kim S. - If I recall correctly, I think she loves to clean?
  • Mindy - Math
  • Karen A. - an easy-going, healthy approach to life, plus an expert in the delivery room (babies, not mail)
  • Kathy W. - legal expertise (to represent the sister wife who eventually smothers our one husband with a pillow)
  • Lori - speech therapy and other stuff to help kids
  • Andria - arts & crafts
  • Rebecca - cultural adviser (movies, Broadway plays, writing) and sister wife "in-house" minister
Teaming up with these women would leave me with nothing to do except catch up on my reading and movie viewing. See how perfect this is?

In addition to sharing the load and raising the kids, sister wives would provide the support, encouragement, and sensitivity that men struggle with. They know how to listen without trying to solve, know when to offer a tissue, hug, or shoulder, and know to stay out of your way when you're emotionally unstable. 

Before I leave you with an invitation to consider my sister wives proposal, I'd like to add just one more woman to the mix. Freakin' Angel Ann Bates is a doctor, healer, and one of the most faithful believers I've ever met. I wrote about Ann last April, shortly before she and her husband and young son Nicholas moved to Princeton. At that time, Ann was on the mend from a bone marrow transplant, about eight years after she survived brain cancer. I'm saddened to say that today Ann is undergoing surgery to remove a new brain tumor. I'm certain that before she arrived at the hospital this morning, her thoughts were with her friends and family and whether they would all be okay through this. Her spirits were positive and encouraged and her faith rested in God.

Do me a favor and 1) count your blessings, 2) give thanks for the Freakin' Angels in your life, 3) pray for Ann, her family, and her complete recovery.  Trust me - this is a woman you want in your sister wives mix.

2 comments:

Emily said...

So, who gets to be the husband? Can we rotate them in and out? That would be ideal. I have long pondered the commune concept -- I think it would totally work. But people would talk. Oh yes, they'd talk.

Will say Misheberach for Ann - Jewish pryaer for healing - let's cover all our bases.

Andria said...

Love this idea! I could definitely use the help of some sister wives today with my kids; arts and crafts only get you so far! :0)