Tuesday, May 3, 2011

This is not a post about Bin Laden

I was going to write about the Osama Bin Laden thing, but that's yesterday's news. Thinking about public enemy #1 while dressing for the gym did provide me with another post idea, however. And this post starts with a riddle (fun, right!)

What do the war against terror, Yankees baseball, Abby's teen years, and my workouts at the gym all have in common? 

Come on,  you can do this...

I'm waiting...

Okay, at this rate I'll be here all day. The answer, of course, is uniforms! Need me to walk you through this? Here we go:
  1. Military personnel wear uniforms. The military helped bring down Bin Laden and are on the front lines in our war against terror. But on a lighter note, there may be nothing more attractive in the whole world than a man in uniform. I could die happy in Annapolis or at West Point. I realize the Navy Seals probably weren't wearing their nice uniforms to kill Osama, but still, the thought of these heroes eventually took me to military uniforms. And Annapolis. And young men in uniforms. You get the idea.
  2. Baseball players wear uniforms. You're wondering why I mentioned the Yankees specifically? Because I like their style. Not of their uniforms per se, but their uniformity. Ever notice the Yankees are the only team that currently doesn't put the player's name on the back of their jersey? The Yankees would tell you it's because it's the name on the front of the jersey that matters, and it's not about the individual. You know, "There's no I" in team." The only other thing worth liking about the Yankees is that they have rules regarding a player's appearance: no jewelry, no chewing, clean shaven, and presentable haircuts. They may suck in every other way, but at least they look like nice young men.
  3. Abby, in the teen years, should wear a uniform. A school uniform, ideally (versus a MacDonald's uniform. Not that there's anything wrong with working at McD's, other than that she would come home smelling like grease. But I digress.). She's only 10 now, but I foresee the battle challenge of mom versus daughter when she wants to wear skirts I think are too short. Heck, she currently thinks wearing pajamas in public is fine. Needless to say I don't trust her judgment. School uniforms would be such a blessing. Remember how nice that Hermione Granger looked in her sweater or robes at Hogwarts? To hell with allowing kids to express their individuality. They can do that in college when I don't have to look at them. And if everyone was in uniform I would never have to hear that Abby is the only one of her friends without real Ugg boots. She's also the only one of her friends who has to do work around the house. But that's a different blog post.
  4. For my workouts, I wish I had a uniform. Sigh. I miss Tang Soo Do. I used to have a uniform. It was so easy to dress for class. White top. White pants (with elastic...bonus!). Black belt. A nice look. But now that I'm working out at the gym I have to think about what I'm wearing. I put more consideration into my gym clothes than I do my clothes for the office, for cryin' out loud. I have to decide if the cute outfit looks like I'm trying too hard, or if the stretchy pants make my butt look big, and if the t-shirt I'm wearing covers said butt. I have to look good without looking like I'm trying to look good. Got that?
So I propose we aim to incorporate uniforms into every possible aspect of our lives. We'd save money. No one would ever feel badly about themselves. And we'd save oodles of time getting ready to go out.

Now that we've killed Osama and all our problems are solved, the government will have time on its hands. I think I can get this uniform idea presented before Congress for an official vote. Although there may be more to the process than that. I should probably watch School House Rock and brush up with "I'm Just a Bill" before I take this to my local representative. Wouldn't want to look bad. Of course, looking bad wouldn't be a problem....if we were all wearing uniforms.

If you want to get all serious on me, feel free to share your opinions on uniforms (school, military, baseball, you name it).

1 comment:

Rebecca Irwin-Diehl said...

I'm all for school uniforms at least. But be warned: there are still two areas of conflict!

1. Not every day is gym day (but some days are definitely gym days). The trick is keeping them straight and having the right clothes clean and on the correct body on the appropriate days!

2. Speaking of clean... uniforms do make it a bit more challenging to notice when a child is wearing the same outfit for the third day in a row. Maybe a girl wouldn't give you that trouble--but at least two of my boys do! And believe me, the "sniff test" is hazardous!