Thursday, June 30, 2011

Gotta Get the Hell Up Outta here

I really didn't expect to come back from the American Baptist Biennial in Puerto Rico with enough material for multiple blog posts, but interestingly, that's what happened. Possible posts include:
  • "How Disappointing"
  • "Ten Things I Learned in Puerto Rico"
  • "They Don't Need Me Anymore"
  • "If You Were a Big Deal, You'd Understand"
The title of this post is from a memorable episode in the convention center during which a colleague, with a microphone, announced the closing time of the exhibit hall and finished with an inappropriate but hilarious instruction to all the good Baptists in attendance that
"You ain't got to go home but you gotta get the hell up outta here."
In the end, "getting the hell up outta here," is exactly what I wanted to do after seven days in Puerto Rico.

Let me forewarn you that this post is likely to be politically incorrect, and for that I apologize. Since going to work for the American Baptists and learning more about issues of social justice, I've really tried to see things from a Christian perspective: no judgements, we're all created in the image of God, demonstrate God's love by being the hands and feet of Christ, etc. But my time in Puerto Rico put my best efforts to the test.

Let me sum it up this way:

The natural beauty of Puerto Rico was matched only by the 
ugliness of nearly everything touched by man.

Yes, I know that's harsh, but so was the condition of this place which has so much potential to be amazing. 

After leaving San Juan, the location of the Biennial, I had plans to go sight-seeing for a couple days with three colleagues. We started with a visit to El Yunque National Forest, home of a spectacular rainforest and beautiful waterfalls. The ride took a few hours and along the way, our tour guide, a coworker who is a native of PR, took too many many back roads. This allowed us to see "the real Puerto Rico," and to be truthful, I wish I hadn't.

The Puerto Rico I saw on these back roads, and even along the highways, was one of stark ugliness. Deserted houses, closed up shops, graffitied buildings, abandoned boats and cars, rusted metal fences, stray dogs and cats, garbage, food vendors on the streets, and condom shops. Several condom shops. My hopes rested on the island of Culebra where we were headed that evening for a two night stay.

We arrived on Culebra around 8:30 p.m. after a 90 minute ferry ride through a thunderstorm. Even in the dark I could see that my image of Puerto Rico was not likely to change. During the five minute walk from the ferry to our inn I was shocked by more of the same: garbage, abandoned shops, unkempt lawns and homes, wandering dogs, cats, and chickens, etc. Even our room, while clean, was in a state of disrepair with chipped walls, leaking ceilings, and torn bedding.

The next day we headed to Flamenco Beach, considered the most beautiful in Culebra. And it was stunning. The bluest, clearest water I've ever seen was set against a backdrop of lush greenery. The ocean floor was smooth as silk and the water was warm and inviting. Its beauty made the other sights that much more depressing. All I could think about were the possibilities for this amazing little island. It should have been a place with delightful shops, restaurants, tour operators, and inns; so much potential disregarded.

I am fully aware that I looked at Puerto Rico through the eyes of an upper middle class, spoiled American. And I know the potential I saw in these places of beauty might not financially possible for many of the people who live there. It's even possible that the things I think are important or see value in just aren't appreciated by everyone everywhere (Although I find it hard to believe someone could think differently than me). Putting aside trendy shops and upscale eateries, however, I cannot comprehend failing to care for what is already there. For lacking pride in what you have.

I'm sure I'm missing something here. I know someone out there could (and would very much like to) educate me on the economic realities that result in the way things are. And being the good Christian that I'm trying to be, I'd like to hear it. As always, please feel free to share your thoughts.


3 comments:

Twisted Angel said...

Oh man, "inappropriate" comment??? I would beg to differ ;-)

The sad reality is that Puerto Rico is the "best" of the Caribbean islands in terms of economics and living conditions of the residents, because it is a Commonwealth of the U.S. and not an independent nation.

Joe Gonzalez said...

There's a link between poverty and degradation that even the most scholarly sociologists can't figure out. So you've stumbled upon a sociological phenomenon. Having just moved out of City I've had the opportunity to experience this issue first hand. Its unexplainable, the trash alone broke my heart. I learned that being the "hands & feet" of Christ sometimes meant modeling even the simplest of behaviors...caring for beauty.

My dad was born and raised in puerto rico and he keeps a very beautiful yard. Maybe he needs to get back to PR and help them with their beauty.

Alan said...

That last title is the best. Although an inside joke only known to a select group of people who are kinda a big deal.