Monday, January 23, 2012

"Jews Don't Bowl" and Other Things You Learn at the Alley

In every friendship, there comes a time to take things to the next level. The 2 a.m. sobbing phone call, help burying the body, shameless dancing during milestone birthday celebrations, and yes, bowling. Yesterday was that time for us and our friends the Mendells and Andersons. (The fourth family in our little group, the Fischers, mysteriously had "something else to do.")

I could have taken pictures of us bowling,
but we didn't want any evidence...
It was all Karen's idea. A nonchalent suggestion that we all go bowling together. Her New Year's resolution was to spend more time with her children, together as a family, and what less contentious better way to do that than with friends? "Lucky Strike in Philly?," she suggested. "They serve alcohol for the adults and unhealthy food for the children and have big screen televisions with the playoff games on." Clearly, Karen knew her audience. This was a no-brainer.

Prior to slipping off to the big city for some over-priced fun, the adults in our posse assured one another that we all were completely awful at bowling. This is an essential first step before bowling with friends. Having hit the lanes with an actual bowler, I can tell you that there's nothing worse than having someone along who really knows what they're doing and wants to win.

Supposedly the worst bowler in our group was D.A. He teared up a little remembering the whooping he took at his daughter's bowling party (I think she was five at the time. Or maybe ten). He still hadn't recovered his self-esteem. To get it out of the way, D.A. opted to bowl first. And naturally, with his very first ball down the alley, he got a strike. I believe that was followed either by another strike or at least a spare. Serious verbal abuse ensued. The good news is that we succeeded in getting into Dave's head and messed with him until he appropriately started throwing gutter balls and brought balance back into the universe.

Karen, the brains behind this outing and also Dave's wife, proved true to her word where her performance was concerned. We'll just leave it at that.

As for the Mendells., well, words can't really describe Dave's performance. Dave had not adequately prepared us for his bowling acumen. Or lack thereof. The poor guy did not actually know which hand to bowl with - left or right? It made no difference. He threw gutter balls equally well with both. He did, however, explain his performance by quite simply stating,
Jews don't bowl.
And now we know.

Emily and I bowled like we live. Pretty consistently and with little fanfare. Though I would say I offered a little more visual pizzazz to my performance; Emily never fell to her knees upon releasing the ball down the alley. And I think I'm the only one in our group who tried the "wave the ball over with your hand" move (which has yet to work, by the way).

Ultimately, Rob won our first match, securing a free meal for us as the winning couple based on a bet we had made at the start of the game. I should note that he was the only one to break 100.

We seriously considered playing with bumpers for round two. But it turns out more beer practice was all we needed. By the end of the second game, D.A. had gotten his groove back, Emily had thrown a strike or two, Dave M. managed to take down all the pins at least once and ended up bowling a 100, and Karen, well, she hadn't gotten any worse. The extra beer practice clearly benefited me the most because I won that round with 125.

We've decided to rename the alley "Lucky (to get a) Strike" and we're forming our own league of misfits. Who's in?

2 comments:

Emily said...

A good time was had by all!! And for the record, my sobriety was a complete disadvantage. Had I been a little looser, I may just have beat you! But Dave could have had a fifth of scotch and it wouldnt have helped. We must go back - if they are still open in the next few months. :)

Mo said...

I'm so sorry that we missed the fun! Of course no one would have even blinked at DaveM if I had been there to provide the true comic relief. I'm pretty sure that I've never broken 100, I too use the "wave the ball" technique, and I bowl over-handed. c