Thursday, March 29, 2012

Five Reasons I Dislike Stadium Concerts

Way back in the early days of this blog, I wrote a post about music and how my enjoyment of it can be corrupted by overzealous listeners. In that post, I noted that my husband is a big Bruce Springsteen fan. For a while, Bruce was really grating on me, but once the overexposure was dealt with, I came to appreciate him. His songs are relevant, timely, and passionate and The Boss puts his whole heart and soul into them.

Naturally, when Rob learned that Bruce was coming to Philly for two performances in March, he and his friend bought tickets for both nights. At the last minute, however, Rob decided one performance would be enough, and he graciously offered me his seat. My interest in going was of the "take it or leave it" variety, but ultimately I decided I had to see the man so many Philadelphians worship. So last night I saw Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band at the Wells Fargo Center.

I can now officially state that I am not a fan of concerts. Stadium concerts specifically. 

Here are five reasons why:
Just the view from the nosebleed section.
  1. The wait. Seriously? The guy's been performing live for decades. He should know how long it takes to get ready to go on stage. Assuming you know the starting time printed on the ticket, you work backward from there. Not rocket science. It irritates the crap out of me to wait 45 minutes for some diva performer to grace us with his or her presence.
  2. Unless you're in the first few rows on the floor in front of the stage, stadium seating sucks. I was in the third row from the top with the common folk. (This is new territory given my connections for seating at the ballpark.) The air is thinner and the seats are smaller up there. And the floors are sticky.
  3. I like the polished version of an artist's song better than the live music. All you musicians are aghast right now. Sorry. But in the studio version, I can usually understand the lyrics because the instrumental isn't overwhelming the vocal. Also, in the studio version they don't go off on these guitar riffs or extended drum solos. They annoy me.
  4. They're boring. I need to do something when I listen to music. Like yard work or house work. Or at least dance. There's no room to dance at a stadium concert. 
  5. They're loud. I can't hear myself sing. And when I can't hear myself sing there's an excellent possibility that I'm out of tune. Rob says I sound abysmal when singing with headphones on.
This is my fifth stadium concert experience in the last few years and all but one of them was dreadful (I kinda liked Tom Petty the first of the two times I saw him, but I may have been drinking for that one). In addition to Tom, there was Hannah Montana ('nuff said), Taylor Swift (dear God!), and Jimmy Buffett (no thanks). None of these was my choice.

From now on I will restrict my concert going to small venues like Tower Theater, the Mann Center, Scottish Rite Auditorium, or Longwood Gardens. In those settings, there's a sense of intimacy with the performers, the seats are all the same size, and I can hear myself sing. Of course, those venues are also where I'm most likely to find my favorites, the Indigo Girls, and others like Paul Simon, David Gray, and Elvis Costello.

So let's have a conversation about concerts. Where is your favorite spot to catch a show? Who's your favorite performer? Who will you see every time they're in town? Any pet peeves about the concert experience?






1 comment:

James Wood said...

I'll take each of your reasons and comment individually. For the most part, I completely agree with you:

1. I agree about the wait. If the show starts at 8 then damnit your ass better be on that stage at 8.

2. Stadium seating does suck at concerts. It's probably the main reason I don't go to any of those places to see a show. I want to experience a live concert. Being up in the nose bleeds looking at a monitor - I might as well just be listening to the radio.

Ps: You're still waiting for people to take you to lunch on Friday and I'm still waiting to sit next to you at a Phils game..just sayin ;)

3. This one I disagree with you on. I can see how extended solos can be a drag but trust me, I've played out A LOT! When you're playing out live night after night performing the same dozen songs you NEED to change it up so its not all vanilla. It also makes the show more personal.

Also, if a the live show is mixed well, you should hear everything cleanly. Nothing should be overwhelming.

4.I think this one might have more to do with your disdain of Bruce. I remember you said you liked the Indigo Girls. If they were there that night I think you might feel differently. When you see someone you really like you get caught up in the music and don't have time to think about other things. (Your seats may also have caused you to feel this way too).

5. I actually prefer the loudness. Case in point: I saw Jimi Jamison at a small club a few weeks ago. Was 2 feet from him and recording it on my phone. at one point he held out the mic and let me sing Eye of The Tiger along with him. It was the COOLEST thing EVER! I even saw him nodding his head in approval.

When I listened back to my performance the next day well, Lets just say I was a little "off" that night.

but... it was still the coolest thing ever.

I do agree with you about seeing bands in smaller places. That's where you get the real experience. Remember growing up seeing the shows at Stabler Arena? Those were some of the best concerts ever. Everything was close and intimate.

There are so many bands I would love to see but refuse to go because they are in huge stadiums or arenas like Wells Fargo. It's just not worth it.

But when artists like the Doobie Brothers or Bryan Adams perform at the State Theatre you know I'm there.

I could go on but I need to prepare myself for tonight. The wife and I are going to see Warrant, Firehouse and LA Guns at Penns Peak. A venue that hold about 1,000 people.

Did I mention there's free food and booze? Bring on the metal!