Saturday, April 7, 2012

So, um, about my faith...

Once in a while my blog posts make some wee mention of my faith. I rarely write about it outright for fear of losing readers. Yep I'm one of those Christians. Unfortunately, I'm not in the minority. Sharing our faith is a struggle for many of us. It's pretty sad; I wouldn't hesitate to tell a friend about a great new bar or a sale at Talbot's, but talking about Christianity or my church? Well, um...

Here's the thing though. My faith and my church family mean more to me than a great new hangout or sale at my favorite clothing store. Seriously! I think when there's something this special in your life and it's available to anyone, it's worth sharing. While being a Christian comes with no guarantees of a lifetime of happiness and prosperity (don't listen to televangelists who preach otherwise), the good reasons for believing are pretty substantial:
  • When bad things happen to good people, I can take comfort and find peace in God's love, trusting our ultimate reward lies in heaven
  • When I learn and acknowledge that life isn't all about me, the world becomes a richer place, full of opportunities for me to try to make a difference in the world, not just my world
  • Right and wrong are no longer gray areas (though that doesn't necessarily make it easier to do the right thing)
  • Believing God is our Father, viewing others as my brothers and sisters, helps me to leave prejudice and hatred behind
  • My natural instinct to judge, condemn, and hold a grudge against those who wrong me, is relieved by knowing that that is simply not my place
  • When life's burdens seem too much to bear, I know  there is someone waiting to carry them me for me
And then there is the most remarkable joy to be found in being a member of a true community of faith. Like all families, no church community is immune from our human failings, but there's is something unspeakably powerful about worshipping together, working side by side, supporting one another through life's trials, and celebrating life's blessings. If you've been reading my blog for awhile, you know that the so-called Freakin' Angels, my sisters in Christ at Media Presbyterian Church (and beyond!) are as important to me as my immediate family. Though different, of course, the love I have for these women is every bit as powerful and life-changing as the love I feel for my parents, sister, children, and husband. I simply can't imagine life without them. The gift of these friendships is one I wish I could bestow on everyone I know and love.

While I don't know that she has found her own Freakin' Angels yet, I am thrilled to say that my mom is enjoying becoming part of a community of faith. After years without a church family, she visited a local church many months ago and fell in love with what she found there. In fact, she loves it so much, she declined to visit me and my church for Easter Sunday because she wanted to experience the holiest of days in her new place of worship instead. To hear her speak with unbridled joy about her experiences there makes my heart full.

May your heart be equally filled with joy this Easter weekend!

3 comments:

Karen Hirt said...

Wow, I have chills and tears at the same time! So honest, heartfelt and pure! Those are three words that I use to describe you, my friend.

Thanks for helping my faith evolve and most importantly sustain. As I said yesterday, "I need to get back to God!" My freaking angels are who carry me at all times.

Love you McShimer/Brimer

Anonymous said...

Wasn't that "banging of the hymnals" Thursday night one of the most wonderful "new" things in church?

Mary Ellen said...

Your post left tears in my eyes Kim. I am so glad for your mom, and know absolutely that the positives of your faith are so very true for each of us.

My mother in law passed away very recently. It occurred to me when I had some time to myself to think about it, how much I truly deeply in my heart take great comfort in knowing that this is not "IT" -- there is so much more in life after death with our Lord. today more than ever I am reminded of that.


Happy Easter!