Monday, May 14, 2012

Games People Play

I had a great weekend. For 24 heavenly hours, with my daughter Abby, I enjoyed the sand and the sun in Avalon, New Jersey, one of my happy places. We rode bikes, ate out, spent time on the beach, and window shopped. If we could have shared a bottle of Pinot Grigio on the ocean front deck of our hotel room, the whole thing would have been picture perfect.

Adding to the delight of this time together was a fine discovery I made. There, in my toiletry bag, I found a pair of earrings that I hadn't seen in months. Actually, this is not a rare occurrence. I frequently find lost jewelry, lipstick, underwear, socks, you name it, when I open suitcases, duffel bags, backpacks, purses, etc. It's always such a delight that it occurred to me I should be intentional about arranging my "surprises." For example:
  • Leave a little something special in your suitcase before putting it away after returning home
  • Keep a favorite pen or lipstick or other goodie in the purse you're swapping out for the season
  • Place a few bucks in your jeans pocket and "forget" to remove the dollars when putting them in the wash or back in your closet
  • Hide your favorite candy or other well-preserved treat in a cupboard you rarely open.
Then, voilĂ ! The next time you reach for that suitcase, purse, pair of jeans, or kitchen shelf, you're in for a treat. Life just doesn't serve up enough pleasant surprises so I see no reason not to help it along.

In keeping with this mind-game approach to good stuff, there are a number of other means to orchestrated joy-filled moments:
See, he gets it!
  • If, like me, you live and die by your to-do list, go ahead and add a few tasks that you've already completed, just so you have something to cross off your list. Look how productive you've been!
  • Love flowers but never receive them from that special someone? Go ahead and send yourself a bouquet. Schedule delivery for a few weeks from now so that you forget about them. What a nice surprise when they arrive! 
  • Frustrated by your weight? Trying to lose a few pounds? Buy your pants a size larger and stick them in the back of the closet where you're not likely to discover them for awhile. Then, when you go to put them on, they'll be too big, and you'll feel like you've accomplished something. Of course, if they fit, or God forbid they're too tight, you'll totally bum yourself out, so consider the risks with this one.
And if cash in hand gives you a sense of satisfaction, here's a fun little trick you can play on your wallet. When selling fund-raising stuff for your kids or purchasing tickets for a group to attend a concert or play, always offer to cover the costs up front, allowing others to pay you back when you deliver the goods. This way, at some point in the near future, you will receive cash from a number of folks, thereby filling your wallet and making you happy at the sight of all that green. Yes, I realize that the money was previously taken from your checking account or charged to your credit card, but that doesn't seem to affect the joy I find in this approach to "making money." Please note that this particular game should not be played 1) with people who never pay you back, or 2) if you don't pay off your credit card in full every month. It's no fun at all if interest fees accrue in the process.

So there you have it folks. Just a few of the mind games I like to play. If you have others that work for you, please share. I'm always looking for ways to trick myself into a happy "surprise!"


No comments: