Wednesday, April 14, 2010

He's Always a Woman to Me

The UPS guy dropped off a package today. I was excited, trying to remember what I ordered. Alas, it wasn't for me. It was for the other woman that lives here. The other woman also known as my husband. Many signs point to my husband being part woman:
  1. Clothing. Has more than I do. Owns better stuff than I do. Shops for new stuff more often than I do. Spends more than I do. And yesterday he made me throw out a pair of my shoes that he said were old and frumpy looking.
  2. Showers. Long showers. His legs are quite hairy so I know he's not shaving in there. What takes so long is a mystery to me.
  3. Getting ready. It starts with the shower and it's downhill from there. I can be ready to go in 5 minutes flat. I like to give him at least forty-five minutes. 
  4. Better late than never? Probably as a result of #2 and #3, the man is late for everything. 
  5. Chatty Cathy. The man talks on the phone more often and for much longer than I do. My sister, my mom, and several of my girlfriends count on much more significant conversations with my husband than they have with me.
  6. Nervous Nellie. He insists on having me run the kids to the doctor for every fever, cough, and sniffle even when I know that it's nothing that can be medicated. And he's a germaphobe who puts anti-bacterial wipes in their lunches and sends the troops to the bathroom for hand washing every time we go out to eat.
  7. Warm and fuzzy. It's always the woman that's cold and wants the blankets and the heat turned up, right? Not here. My husband is the first to clamor for the flannel sheets, blankets, and footy pajamas. He sweats me out, right into the spare bedroom.
  8. Just leave that to me. Yard work. Painting. Meeting with contractors. The man's job? Not in this house. My man is more likely found with a book or a crossword puzzle than a hammer, rake, or Swiss army knife.
While I offer this list for a laugh at my husband's expense, I do have to admit that this womanly side of my man has its advantages. He happens to also be kind, considerate, sensitive to my emotional needs, and a loving and affectionate husband and father.

So, who wants to join me in outing the woman in your man?

10 comments:

Rachel Gilmore said...

Dang! Hope Rob's sensitive side has its invisibility shield up this morning! Can't out my womanly man. I wear the curls in this house. But more power to you, sister! At least he works in a manly field...or maybe that's just his cover...

Rob said...

1. Guilty - although having more and better clothes than Kim is not anything to be proud of.

2. Have I taken an occassional long shower - yes. Do I normally - no. Do I need a wife with more to do than stand by the bathroom with a stop watch - yes.

3. Not sure what this one is about - I recently had a 6:00am tee time, and I was ready real fast.

4. Once again, baffled. See #3, I was on the driving range by 5:30.

5. My apologies for having finley honed communications skills and a willingness to listen, despite the often grueling subject matter.

6. Guilty. Must have read one too many articles about MRSA.

7. Never once turned the heat up. Prefer flannel sheets in the winter. Grew up without heat in my bedroom - psychologically scarred.

8. Smarter people than I (and therefore, Kim) have demonstrated that division of labor has lasting economic benefits in a capitalistic society. Just trying to do my part. Besides, who would read the articels about MRSA?

A "Freakin' Angel" said...

So I've figured out how to get my husband to comment on my blog posts!

Kathy Weber said...

Too funny--I think I could also "out the woman in my man" but it would take me too long!! For one, he wears more product in his hair on any given day than I do in a year! Admittedly, I have the best of both worlds as my man is all over the yard work and takes out the trash!! Love the blog Kim--keep em' coming!

Cabogirl said...

Can I put in a request for more He said/She said blog posts? I enjoy witty banter!

Anonymous said...

loved your blog and loved your woman's rebuttal!

Jean Alicia Elster said...

Nothing to out--my hubby is all man. Actually, I like it that way!

BHaasTSD said...

How does your ability to kick his behind all over the yard play into this?

Emily said...

Hysterical! Especially the title of this post. For his part, Dave has a fondness for buying shoes - which I hate to do. He is also a HUGE cell phone user for "checking in". Im not sure if that is a woman thing but it is a tad annoying when he left the house 25 seconds ago and is already calling you for something completely pointless. Oh -- and his favorite movie is Bring it On -- although I think that could be a guy thing....

RevBecca said...

With pleasure! I love that my man can be so "womanish." He's teaching my sons to overturn gender stereotypes and love their future partners with the fullness of who they are--no matter what culture and society label as "masculine" vs "feminine."
1. A cuddle-bug. He loves to curl up together (even in Philly heat and humidity, ugh) in front of a movie or before going to sleep.
2. A hand-holder. Again, even in heat and humidity!
3. A musical maniac and chick-flick fanatic. How did I get so lucky as to get a best-girlfriend and a tender lover in the same human being???
4. Cooks, cleans, and does laundry! Thereby allowing me to the "slacker spouse" in the relationship!
5. A passionate and compassionate feminist. And wonder of wonders, he doesn't feel any need to avoid the title!
6. Abhors conflict. Ah, well, you knew there was a downside!

I know some women love a man's man, and of course there's a side of me that can't help but be drawn to a sexy-ugly Gerard Butler or Hugh Jackman's "Wolverine" persona. But for everyday living and a lifelong partner in marriage and parenting, I want tough-loving tenderness and a best friend for all seasons.