Monday, April 26, 2010

Wanna Get Away?

As I write, I'm enjoying a frozen margarita. I just discovered I like frozen margaritas two weeks ago when my Freakin' Angel friend Cathie made them in celebration of the season premiere of Glee. (Yep, we're total gleeks.)

Friends and margaritas got me thinking:

If
Friend = Cathie
and Cathie = Margaritas
and Margaritas = Mexico
and Mexico = Get-away,
Then
Friend = Get-away


Today I'm recommending that all you women out there get away. With just the girls. (If you're not a girl, you might be disappointed with this post, but you'll just have to forgive me and find something else to read.) Sure, time with your family, spouse, or significant other is important, but there's something cathartic and special about a get-away with girlfriends.

Now if you're like me, you're saying "No shit duh! Girl time is awesome. Where are we going and when do we leave?" But it has come to my attention that there are some women (and let's pray they're in the minority), that don't want to go away. Don't want to leave their husband and/or their children. My neighbor Linda recently shared this disturbing piece of information when informing me about her husband's current boys-only trip. In SWITZERLAND. Each year, they take turns planning a get-away and the rest of the gang doesn't know where they're going until the day they leave. (Very cool concept, and particularly note-worthy because I don't know too many men who are good at planning anything, much less a vacation.) When I told Linda she needed to take a trip with the girls, she completely agreed. Unfortunately, it seems her circle of friends falls into this bizarre subset of women who don't want to travel sans man and child. I think Linda really needs new friends. Knowing there are women out there like this concerns frightens me.

In an effort to keep wives and moms sane (and to boost the struggling travel industry), I'm going to offer, as an unpaid public service, the top 5 reasons why all women should go on an annual girls getaway:

  1. You never have to go to bed early with that "I have a headache" excuse. 
  2. Your girlfriends will never raise their eyebrows when you have dessert after dinner. And lunch. Every day.
  3. You can't giggle or laugh too much when you're with the girls.
  4. Reading chick lit is perfectly acceptable.
  5. The girls totally understand why you need to purchase jewelry, an outfit, or at least a Christmas tree ornament as a souvenir.
And probably the very best reason to get away is that when you return home your family may actually appreciate you--at least for those first five minutes, and you just might appreciate them, too.
 
For your comments:
  1. Girls get-away: YES or NO?
  2. Your top reason why girls should get away.
  3. Your best girl get-away

4 comments:

Cabogirl said...

1. When and Where?
2. Sooo many reasons
3. Please refer to #1

(I know where I just need to know when!!!)

neighbor said...

Just to clarify - I can't think of one of my friends who wouldn't love to get away for a girls retreat. But the reality is that most moms during this time in their lives find it difficult to make it happen for one reason or another. Sad but true! But hang on ladies our day will come!

A "Freakin' Angel" said...

Neighbor, my apologies for "dissing" your friends. I just assumed you meant they were the happy-to-stay home types and I used it to get a laugh. Shame on me! Glad to hear you don't need to find new friends (unless you want to replace me for being mean!)

RevBecca said...

1. YES!
2a. So I can test drive new outfits with discriminating reviewers
2b. So I can remember what a clean bathroom looks/smells like
3. Confession: I haven't tried a full-out getaway yet unless you count a business trip! (I don't.) So my favs have been movies and meals!