Monday, April 19, 2010

Training Dragons and Raising Children

On Friday night I surprised my best guy and took him to a late movie. We saw the 9:30 showing of "How to Train Your Dragon." Loved it! I laughed, I cried. I squealed. Going to the movies with me is always a highly interactive and sometimes embarrassing experience.

If you haven't seen it, or haven't psychoanalyzed it, "How to Train Your Dragon" is more than just a fun, kid adventure with Vikings and scary beasts. It is also a thought-provoking look at the gulf that exists in our understanding and appreciation of one another. On a grand scale, it speaks volumes about how we treat those we perceive to be our enemies, and on a more personal level, it is a moving tale of the often complicated relationship between fathers and sons (or parents and their children in general).

The basic storyline is this: The aptly-named Hiccup is a likable, self-deprecating youth who, in the eyes of the dragon-centric Viking community, is a classic screw-up. His dad is the aptly-named Stoik -- Head Viking. Mr. Macho. Main Dragon Slayer. Hiccup wants to prove he's capable. He desires that love and admiration. One night he tries to slay the most fearsome dragon known to man, and when he captures that mighty beast, he chokes. He can't follow through and do what needs to be done. And this decision, to let the dragon live, has far-reaching implications, the most important being that Hiccup discovers his gifts.

The moral of the human story? Love and accept your children for who they are instead of who you want them to be, and they just might succeed beyond your wildest dreams.

I must admit that as a parent, this is one of the things I most struggle with. We all want what's best for our children, and we often assume we know what that is. When it turns out that our son or daughter doesn't want to slay dragons even though everyone else is slaying dragons, we're disappointed. We probably sign them up for dragon slaying classes anyway, hoping they'll come to their senses. When he or she actually prefers befriending the dragons, we may even renounce them as our child.

What I so often forget is that my children's lives are not mine to control. My children are not my possessions. As a Christian, I believe my children are a gift--and equipped with gifts--from God. Sometimes I want to return the gift (!), but when I'm thinking clearly I remember that my responsibility as their parent is to love them, care for them, support them, and direct them in the way they should go based on those God-given gifts.

I love it when a movie, especially a kids movie, can provide such a powerful reminder of an important life lesson. Two thumbs up for "How to Train Your Dragon!"

5 comments:

James Wood said...

Great review Kim! My daughter saw it with some friends and really liked it. I may have to take her again or go solo because I've heard nothing but good things about it!

Emily said...

This is on my list as well - and I could stand for a healthy dose of parenting lessons these days. The more animated, the better. If they served mojitos at the movies, even better! Wait, I think we might have something here....

A "Freakin' Angel" said...

Emily, Landmark Theaters!! My sister took me to one in Denver. The popcorn and soft drinks are free (tix cost about $2 more than they do here), AND there's a full bar. Plus, if you pay for VIP status, you get the best seats in the house (they're leather and they recline), and waitress service in the theater before the show starts!! It's my idea of heaven!

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed this post! Life with a Special Needs child teaches you quickly.. you are not in control! The Lord sends people/situations/experineces to help you grow and learn (even if it is in a movie theater)!

Beth Reilly

kathie said...

Bravo, Kim! This movie offered so many messages. Such as.... Kindness and love shown to your enemies has lifechanging effects...just because you don't fit societies idea of usable, doesn't mean you have no purpose...and especially through the ending, having a handicap does not affect your value as a human being! Loved it!!