Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Warning: Deadly Shopping Adventure Awaits Women of the Philly Suburbs

I am frugal. I take delight in finding a great deal or having someone compliment me on an outfit I got for a steal. Just last week I wore my new Talbot's skirt, bought on Ebay for $20.00. Original tags still on it. Woo hoo!

Over the summer this thriftiness manifested itself in a visit to a second-hand store, a new frugal venue for me. I had purchased a $20 Groupon worth $40 in clothes from Sophisticated Ladies Consignment Boutique. I left with a cute skirt, top, and capri pants which I have since outgrown. While at the store I signed up to receive their emails regarding sales and special offers. Though as a rule I hate to shop, I can make an exception for bargain opportunities.

Yesterday I received an interesting email from Sophisticated Ladies. They are offering a special consignment store bus tour. Yes, I raised my eyebrows at this also. For $40 you can join other penny-pinching women on a bus which will make stops at 6 different stores. They will also provide you with a boxed lunch and champagne.

Am I the only woman who thinks this is a terrible, if not downright dangerous idea?

Women are known to go slightly insane when in a competitive shopping environment. While, as a second degree black belt, I would have a distinct advantage over many women, this is still a scenario I would like to avoid at all costs. There are too many factors which would contribute to an unstable situation:
  1. These women are already focused on finding a great deal, as evidenced by the fact that they're willing to pay $40 to be on the consignment store bus in the first place. This makes them more likely to be emotionally or mentally unbalanced.
  2. Consignment shops rarely have significant floor space. This means women will literally be crawling on top of each other to get at the goods.
  3. Unless seats on the bus are reserved by customer dress size and they place a limit on the number of each, it's highly probable that a significant portion of these women will be looking for that coveted size 8 or 10. This is extremely dangerous and may result in physical injuries.
  4. They are giving these women champagne. Dear God. Alcohol will only fuel the fire!
Needless to say, I will not be signing up for the Sophisticated Ladies consignment shop bus tour. I just pray they've got insurance for what could be a deadly trip to shopping hell.

No comments: