Friday, September 10, 2010

Why Can't I Go Home Again?

After fifteen years of marriage, I'm sure it hasn't escaped my husband's notice that I nearly always return home in a rotten mood after a visit with my parents. The cynics amongst you are now offering me a smile and head nod that says "Yes, mine make me crazy, too," but actually, your sympathy would be misdirected. My parents don't always make me crazy (though Dad can be overly critical sometimes, a tendency my children will say I've inherited). It's the returning home to my house part that makes me irritable.

The truth is, frequently sometimes I wish I could truly "go home again."  "WHY?" you ask? Well here are the top 10 reasons moving back home with my parents appeals to me:
  1. They are actually happy to see me and genuinely enjoy my company and conversation.
  2. I don't compete for attention with my parents' technological gadgets.
  3. There's never a sink full of dishes or dirty bathrooms left for me alone to deal with.
  4. My dad can fix ANYTHING and doesn't usually drop F-bombs in the process.
  5. My *!#&% dog doesn't live there.
  6. My mom cooks for me.
  7. I have my own room and generally can sleep in one bed for the whole night.
  8. None of the furniture is too skeevy to sit on (see #5).
  9. Everything seems to cost less in the Lehigh Valley than it does in Delaware County.
  10. Being a grown up with kids of your own in a home of your own is not nearly as much fun as you think it will be when you're a kid. 
Now, to be fair, the novelty and upside of living at home with my parents would certainly wear off. In fact, I can already think of several reasons why it wouldn't work out, and I may just share those in another post. But sometimes I wish I could just be a kid again without all the responsibilities and expectations that come with being the mom.

Are there times you wish you could go home again? Why?

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I think I would enjoy "going home" to my parents' house more if I didn't have my kids with me for the 5.5 hour drive!
The "home" I long for is the sanctuary of a quiet room, a library of books, white space (mentally and on paper) for writing, and time--oh God, plenty of time--to be alone.
And if I can't have that, I'll definitely settle for Broadway (a home away from home) or London (the city I'd most love to have as a 2nd home)!