Friday, September 24, 2010

What would your sci-fi world look like?

Last night as I was drifting off to sleep I was considering blog post topics. As ideas came to me, however, I was too tired/lazy to turn on the light and jot them down as I normally would. And that's what led me to this Sci-Fi posting.

Wouldn't it be great if when you go to sleep at night you could plug your brain into a super cool contraption in your pillow which would store your thoughts, ideas, concerns, fantasies(!), while you sleep? You'd never wake up trying to remember that great idea or wondering who that disturbing dream was about. It would all be recorded (and password protected) for your review the next morning.

While I'm not a futuristic/science fiction fan or afficionado, I've got a few other ideas I'd like to see implemented:
  • "Automatic" roads. Our system of roads and highways would be like conveyor belts. You'd put your car on the roadway, program it for where you want to go, and it would take you there automatically.  I guess you wouldn't even need your car, just some transport box to hang out in till you got to your destination.
  • Replacement noses. Don't you hate when you have a cold or your allergies are driving you nuts and you just wish you could rip your face off to get some relief? Well, since most of the problems stem from your nasal passages, I'd like to have replaceable noses. When the one you're currently using becomes problematic, you just take it off and put on another one.
  • Embedded communication devices. I imagine that within our lifetime we'll be able to implant chips in our bodies or brains which contain communication capabilities. These would allow us to simply say the name of friends or family members we want to reach, and if they can respond, we'd pick them up via some transponder in our ears. The same chips might contain our credit card information so we'd merely scan our thumbs or our retina when we want to make a purchase.
I believe I had another futuristic/technology idea, but since no one has yet invented my pillow brain scanner thingy, I can't remember what it was. Someone needs to get to work on that, pronto.

And while I'm making recommendations along these lines, if you have your own requests, please feel free to share!

3 comments:

James Wood said...

Following your idea for storing ideas, can the contraption you plug into also allow you to choose your dreams? I could sure go for being a superhero for a few nights. Or maybe being a rock star with beautiful women throwing themselves at me for a few weeks. Yeah, that would be great!!

These dreams of me walking around naked at work have sure gotten old....

James Wood said...

Can the contraption you mention also allow you to choose your dreams? I could sure go for being a super hero for a few nights. Or maybe a rock star with gorgeous women falling all over me. Yeah! That's the ticket!!

These dreams of me walking around naked at work have sure gotten old...

Bob Alek said...

I really like your pillow brain scanner idea. If that could be done humanity might potentially take several developmental leaps forward (or backward depending on your perspective). Your second idea has been done. It's called public transportation. It mostly sucks. Third idea sounds good, but think of all the discarded noses that would be lying all over the place. Yuck! Your last idea is great and will probably happen in the form of some super chip that augments your natural brain. Not only communicate remotely, but store memories more efficiently, think faster, network to various tools and labor saving devices, etc... Uhm... you will be assimilated… you can not resist the Borg…