Monday, November 29, 2010

Six Grinch-Inducing Aspects of the Month of Christmas

Note: This post was written in the throes of my post-turkey-and-filling funk. I'm happy to report my mood did improve over the weekend, albeit only slightly.

I tell myself, "Don't write when you're grumpy." But then the smart ass inside of me chimes in with "Well then when would you write?" Alas, I'm grumpy today. It's Black Friday, it's dreary outside, I've spent the morning cleaning, and my sporadic attempts at online shopping have been fruitless. I also seem to have infected Rob's Dell laptop with whatever computer poison apparently leaks from my fingertips as I type. Oh, and have I mentioned that I've got a 2:00 p.m. appointment with my Dell technician as we attempt to rebuild my computer from the operating system on up? Good stuff.

So as I sit here and self-medicate analyze, I have determined that my lousy mood is a product of my inner Grinch. If it was up to me, Christmas would look more like Thanksgiving, but with a grander tribute to baby Jesus. We would gather with family and friends and we would eat, drink, and be merry, but that's all that would be required. We would know we were dealing with your basic one-night stand, and that would be okay. As it is now, the month of Christmas stresses me out. Here are the contributing factors:
  • Black Friday. As someone who rarely if ever enjoys the shopping experience, Black Friday terrifies me. I hate the traffic. I hate the crowds. I think the idea of waking up at 4:00 a.m. to spend money is ludicrous. But I also feel that if I don't bite the bullet and get out there I'm going to miss the deals of the century. And the cheapskate in me whispers "Just do it!" (For the record, I ignored the cheapskate and stayed home.)
  • Decorating. I don't enjoy decorating. This bothers Abby considerably. Her friends' moms decorate for all the holidays. I don't find it to be a good use of my time. But letting Abby do the decorating messes with my need to control things in this house. Quite a conundrum.
  • The tree. The focal point of the decorating. I don't mind the tree itself, but bringing it in the house and setting it up is akin to a home improvement job...someone usually ends up yelling or swearing. We invariably buy one that's too tall and needs to have its trunk trimmed, and then getting it straight is like trying to fix my damn laptop...darn near impossible.
  • Enough (with the) Presents? Determining how many presents to buy always causes me anxiety. Frankly, I hate that my kids want so much when they already have so much. And I never know when enough is enough. It's especially challenging now that everything they want costs a small fortune. And do I keep it fair by quantity or monetary value? I liked it a lot better when they were too young to request anything and a cardboard box couple small gifts sufficed.
  • Online shopping. I greatly prefer online shopping to hitting the actual store. The downside to this is that it contributes to my Grinchy mood. No music, no decorations. I also have a need to avoid shipping charges, which means I buy more than I really want just so I hit the necessary minimum. I think they call this "penny wise, pound foolish."
  • The letdown. We spend a month gearing up for what generally lasts for 30 minutes on Christmas morning. Within 15 minutes of all the presents being opened I feel a tremendous let down. The kids run off to play with their new gadgets, I clean up the discarded wrapping paper, and there's nothing to look forward to for the next six days until New Year's Eve. This letdown is  probably not as bad if you have a large family to visit, but that doesn't apply to us. So we sit. And sometimes we go to the movies.
As a faith-filled, church-going Christian, you would think I would get more out of the Christmas season. But then again, perhaps its because I'm a faith-filled, church-going Christian that I feel such disappointment with the holiday as I've been living it. I know in my heart that it's supposed to be about so much more than the gifts, the cards, and the decorations, yet that's where the focus is.

So, Freakin' Angel readers, share with me your suggestions on how I can replace my inner Grinch with the hope, love, joy, and peace that the season is really supposed to be about. Looking forward to hearing from you...

4 comments:

James Wood said...

Hey Kim - Great post. I'm kind of in the same boat. I always get "blah" about the whole Christmas season. Probably because it seems to be starting on October 15th any more with stores putting Christmas decor next to the Freddy Kreuger masks...

Then there's the radio stations playing 24/7 X-mas music for 10 weeks. The one thing I always looked forward to was the one station playing 24 hours of music from Christmas eve to the 26th. This is pathetic.

It's hard to find the real meaning when you're being bombarded with sales you must act upon immediately and pop music blaring months before the "big day"....

Maybe the message is really in the Charlie Brown Christmas. We all need our own Linus to keep things in perspective.

Just my two cents.... Merry Christmas! - :)

Emily said...

I'm with James. I know I'm Jewish but we deal with the same thing. And this year it starts on December 1st so FAST FORWARD THE AGONY!! Hanukah isn't even a major holiday! We just pumped it up so our kids wouldn't feel left out. Gift giving is incredibly stressful. I would be for NO GIFTs but it would be hard to get the entire world to change. I guess I would focus on the moments that are best for your family. I'm sure there are some in between the hustle and bustle. And one more thing -- please just go and buy a NEW laptop!! It will improve your outlook tremendously

Michelle Janes said...

Kim, several years ago I felt the same way. I wrote down the gifts that Maddy received from everyone one Christmas and it was WAY too long. She gave up present-opening before it was really over! After a lot of thought and asking around, we ended up with a practice that works for us and since you asked . . .

1. Each of my kids gets 3 gifts under the tree from us plus a stocking with little goodies and small gifts. This is REALLY hard to stick to but it sure eliminates the endless lists that kids can come up with!

2. As a family, we choose someone or some cause to financially help in December. The kids contribute some of their own chore money and Dave & I make up the "difference". :-) This helps them to take the focus off themselves and to focus on giving.

3. We also try to revisit Bible passages from the OT that point towards Jesus.

4. And, this is really important, we watch How the Grinch Stole Christmas faithfully every year. :-)

Thanks for the chance to share, Kim. I love reading your blog!

Rebecca Irwin-Diehl said...

OK, you asked for it!
1. Black Friday: Skip it. Sleep in, burrow with a good book or movie, and wait for Cyber Monday.
2. Decorating: Can't help you there. I kind of love it--for Christmas anyway. Although I do find myself pacing the process now that kids are underfoot and schedules are crazy. I just plan a Christmas party to give myself a deadline for having all the cleaning and decking done! (But I totally feel you on the control thing. I gripe about my boys not wanting to help decorate, but then I go around behind--or beside--them and "fix" their efforts!)
3. The tree. I know you balk at the price at your local orchard, but we love it there--in large part because of their tree stands and the hole drilled in the trunk to keep those darn crooked trunks standing upright on the stand! Although I do admit that, after years of a beautiful artificial tree, our new family tradition does cause me some feelings of ambivalence. I love the scent and feel of fresh evergreen--and a real tree is far more expedient to put up and take down (with the stand and drill hole mentioned above). But that control freak inside does miss the abilitiy to move branches into place and not worry about gaps in the shape or placement of ornaments!
4. Presents. Gotta admit, I love the gifts (for immediate family). I love shopping for the kids and my spouse--although we set a dollar limit (exceeding it slightly each year) and try to diversify how we spend it. For example, tickets to a show or sporting event (an "experience" that won't collect dust or broken parts in my basement), plus one or two most-desired gifts ($30-40 range) and then a few small items that add to the fun of opening gifts and strewing wrapping paper. But you have to understand, with a birthday just 10 days after Xmas myself, this season is the only time I can look forward to getting stuff for ME too! :-) And I guess I'm still enough of a kid (who grew up pretty poor) to crave presents. So I also don't mind everyone going his (and in my house, they are all "he"s) own way after the initial orgy--because then I'm free to retreat with my new book or movie or "toy"!
5. Online shopping. Two words for you: AMAZON PRIME.
6. The letdown. I've been there--but mostly b/c my eldest son is never satisfied and rarely thankful. Only last year did we succeed in having a spirit of gratitude emanate from him--and that was probably only because of memories of the previous year's meltdown (mine, in response to him)! But I usually put that away after the kids are in bed again and Nathan and I can turn off the lights, put the Christmas carols on low, stoke the fire, and cuddle in front of the fragrant tree (preferably with eyeglasses off so the imperfections of shape and symmetry blur into the "perfect" tree with multicolored lights).
As a faith-filled Christian, I don't mind so much the commercial aspects of the season. I guess I figure, Jesus dealt with the crowds and the chaos of life in birth, life, and death. He ate with the IRS and "sinners" who ruined everyone else's "perfect holy days." He told the grubby rugrats (er, children) to climb aboard--and surely those kids were no more angelic than mine. So, I don't think he minds the noise and clutter of my Christmas celebrations either--as long as there's a moment or two periodically throughout the season to remember and anticipate. Messiah has come--and Messiah will come again!