Monday, January 3, 2011

Puzzles, Coloring, and Bonding, Oh My!

Over the holidays I decided I needed a new way to relax. My penchant for reading and watching movies feels just too sedentary and unproductive. I like to at least seem active while relaxing (fellow multi-taskers can relate). With this in mind, I went old school and tapped into a jigsaw puzzle and coloring.

Jigsaw puzzles used to be a source of enjoyment for me. Unfortunately, I've discovered that for some puzzling reason, they no longer are. I feel like a hardcore gambler or crack addict when I work on a puzzle. I tell myself (and the puzzle) that if I can just get one little piece to fit I'll walk away for the night. My frustration mounts when Abby leisurely strolls by, detects one of the 400+ pieces she "thinks" will work, and easily inserts it in its proper place. Several of my friends and family members take great delight in solving a puzzle. I take great delight in removing it from my sight when it's been on the table for more than three days. Perhaps it's a sign of the times, my need for immediate gratification. Call it what you will, I call it maddening.

Last night I had more success with a little thing I like to call coloring. This isn't the first time in my adult life that I turned to the crayons and colored pencils in a time of need. I recall one night during college when nothing would do but a few hours of artistic bliss. I persuaded the boy I liked at the time to take us shopping for a proper coloring book and crayons. The excitement in the air was palpable. Though now that I think about it, this may be the reason I never heard from him again.

Anyway, last night the kids and I were going stir crazy so I asked Abby to fetch her art set. We set up shop on my bed and she and I proceeded to indulge in a few hours of coloring and shading (Ian only lasted a couple minutes). I think what I most enjoy about coloring is the simplicity of it. The lines are there, all you need to do is stay within them. Unlike life which is messy and unpredictable, coloring is clear cut and easily managed. It provides me with that feeling of accomplishment which I so desperately crave, and it provided a nice opportunity for mother-daughter bonding time.

While I actually hope to relax less and accomplish more in 2011 (apparently many of you think I live a life of leisure with all my book reading, facebook updating, blogging, movie viewing, celebrity hobnobbing, and the like), I would welcome your suggestions for other means of looking busy while actually chilling out. What works for you?

1 comment:

Cornelia said...

Folding laundry while watching pre-taped favorite TV series. Of course the folding takes triple the time but it's guilt free-er TV watching!