Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Things that Make You "Hmmm"

In my capacity as marketing/promotions/sales/publicity director for Judson Press I seek out and pursue media opportunities for our authors. One of the services I utilize to make this easier is HARO -- "Help a Reporter Out." HARO emails hit my in-box three times a day and feature requests from reporters, writers, producers, bloggers, and others looking for experts on a variety of topics.

Most of the time these requests are pretty ordinary. Sometimes they're unique. Occasionally they are downright bizarre. It occurred to me that these strange requests would be fun to share, so voila! Here are 12 HARO requests that made me go hmmm...

1.  Is it ever OK to drink your own urine? (Popular Science): Here's hoping I'm never that thirsty, and if I am, that I haven't just eaten asparagus.


 2.  Looking for real stories about couples working together as a team to plan their wedding (http://thegroomslist.com): I may be off base here, but if your husband-to-be wants to help you plan the wedding, he's either my brother-in-law (who is already married) or probably gay. Which is fine if you are also gay, but possibly a red flag if you're not.

3.  Is Hugh Hefner A Cradle Robber? Seriously? Whatever gave you that idea?

 
4.  Are you getting married and don’t know how to cook? (Talk Show): So what's the problem?

5.  Your Va Jay Jay And You: Women's Health Sources Needed: I didn't even know what a Va Jay Jay was until my friend Em explained it. If you're really an expert in women's health, shouldn't you be comfortable with the the biologically correct terminology? (Right now my parents are asking each other "what's a va jay jay?")

6.  Population boom in porcupines: It's a prickly topic... 

7.  How To Get a Teenager to Clean His Room (knxv-tv): This request is clearly for one of those entertainment/tabloid TV programs. The same ones that sight aliens and claim Tom Cruise is totally normal.

8.  20- or 30-something Tasmanians who preserve fruit (Tasmanian Life magazine): Really? There's life in Tasmania outside of the Devil?


9.  How do you save a drowning friend? (COSMOPOLITAN magazine): Because, let's face it, who would save a non-friend from drowning? 

10.  Leopard Manicures (FabFitFun): Sounds dangerous. And how do you know what color a leopard likes on her nails?

11.  Why won't adolescent boys dress right for winter? (Associated Press): For the same reason they won't clean their rooms. They're adolescent boys. 'Nuf said.
 
12.  A man or women born with a tail (Alley einstein ltd - uk magazine agency): Can't say I've ever known anyone born with a tail. Known a few people born without a brain though...

Hope these gave you a chuckle or two. Now get over here and shovel my driveway. Love, Kim

    2 comments:

    Andria said...

    Nice commentary, Kim. How can you not laugh at "va jay jay"?!

    Emily said...

    I actually responded to #11 but never heard back. Probably because I gave the same "no duh" answer you did and they needed something more profound. And if you think va jay jay is funny - you know the male equivalent is funnier. Puh nay nay. Heh heh.