Wednesday, January 5, 2011

I'm a Rule Breaker, Dream Taker

Obviously I'm not setting a good example for my children if I can't follow my own rules. I even shared them with you back on November 22. Number three of my "5 Essential Children's Gift Giving Guidelines" clearly stated, "Carefully consider your purchase if this toy, craft, or gadget requires parental supervision or assistance." But did I listen? Noooo. Not even close. Now I'm burdened with the unpleasant task of returning one of Abby's Christmas gifts, incurring the return shipping charge in addition to the shipping I already paid to receive it in the first place.

So you're probably wondering what the offending gift is/was, right? Hold on to your hats.
It is/was a sewing machine.

Dear Lord, what was I thinking? Not only did this gift require parental supervision and assistance, but it required it from someone who actually knows how to work a sewing machine. This is not me. I don't know if I've ever used a sewing machine in my life. Abby pulled it out of the box at my insistence (she seemed to be avoiding it, probably knowing the fun we weren't going to have with it), and within ten minutes I asked her if she'd mind if I returned it. She agreed it wasn't worth the hassle and informed me that "sewing by hand is easier anyway." I don't know how to sew by hand either, so I'm not sure where she developed her skills. Anyway, today the sewing machine is being returned to Back to Basics Toys.

Unfortunately, the sewing machine was not the only toy I bought which broke rule #3. I also purchased for Abby the American Girl Pom Pom Scarves Kit which requires parental help in measuring 42' strands of yarn, and multiple hands to untangle balls of said yarn that become completely knotted if you look at them wrong. We finally finished this darn scarf and she hasn't even worn it.

And then there is Ductigami: The Art of the Tape, a book of crafts one can make with duct tape. Ian has showed no interest in it whatsoever, and Abby is finding it more challenging than anticipated. This means she wants Rob or me to help. This is highly undesirable as noted in rule #3. 

On a positive note (you know I'm always looking for the positive in every situation), Abby did receive one gift requiring participation that I actually am enjoying. Her Aunt Andi bought her Pictureka, a fun game of visual hide and seek. Best thing about this game is that being the little observational savant that she is, Abby always wins. That means I don't have to listen to her cry about losing.


Time to confess, who else broke rule #3 on the gift giving guidelines? Or did you blow it on:
  1. A toy that can be used to inflict bodily harm on siblings, pets, or parents
  2. An item with multiple parts
  3. A gift requiring batteries which you forgot to have available on Christmas morning
  4. An item requiring considerable assembly which you left to assemble until midnight on Christmas Eve
Do tell!

2 comments:

Mary Ellen said...

LOL Thank you for winning the "what the heck was I thinking" contest. I thought I was bad for buying Katie a beginners knitting kit (I don't knit at bit, but do crochet) AND (kicking myself for this one) a pottery wheel. she is psyched to use that one. me not so much. but thanks for the sympathetic laugh!!

Rebecca Irwin-Diehl said...

Oh boy. Broke #2 and 4 above on the Arcade Basketball game (double hoops, bigger than my kids' twin beds, requiring 90 minutes of assembly time after hauling it piece by piece up to the third floor).

Broke #3 (no parental participation) and #1 above on the most unlikely of gifts--extra Wii remotes. Now that they have four of them, not only are they screaming bloody murder at each other for not playing the games "right" but last night, CJ asked meekly, "Do you think you'll have time later tonight to play with all of us boys on the Wii?" And having an abhorrence for video games as well as a wide selfish streak (after all, it was MY birthday yesterday, not his), I turned him down. And that qualified as his "Low" for the day (during our nightly high/low sharing over dinner).

Oh, and broke #1 above again by giving Grandmom & Grandad the idea to buy a hockey stick for our wildest, least inhibited youngest son. What was I thinking? At least he's bugging Daddy, not me, to participate in that (with what--a broomstick?).

Ugh.