Tuesday, January 11, 2011

You Say It's Your Birthday? Tell Us about the Party!

Birthday parties have evolved since I was a kid. Granted, I wasn't invited to many, but still, I'm pretty certain things have changed dramatically in the last 30 years.While I can't recall anything more than a no-frills get-together or sleepover at the party girl's house, my children have attended a fascinating variety of soirees which I have sorted into these four main categories:
  • Basic and traditional home-based parties (occasionally involving a sleepover)
  • Home-based theme parties
  • "Anywhere but my house" parties 
  • Cool venue, spare no expense parties
The traditional home-based party is what I imagine I would have had as a child if I had been allowed to have parties at all. My parents, however, were of the mindset that inviting your friends for a party was really nothing more than a shout-out for loot. Today, high-minded parents who think their children have more than enough stuff have taken to throwing parties where items for charity are requested in lieu of gifts. This is nice in theory, though I highly doubt the birthday child him/herself thinks this is a good idea. Anyway, I find it easier to throw this type of party for boys than for girls, and thus Ian has had a couple of these basic get-togethers. Still, the no-frills, "leave the kids to their own devices" party is a relic rarely seen in the 21st century.

Home-based theme parties have been my default mode of birthday celebration for Ian and Abby. They are a step up from "come over for pizza and ice cream" and yet cost considerably less than the next two options. We've personally thrown Pokemon, Wii, and manicure/pedicure parties, and my kids have been invited to everything from a Greek Mythology party to a musical instrument party. Theme parties are fine if the parent(s) is creative and patient, neither of which I consider myself to be. Every year I swear it's my last time inviting these urchins into my home and that's why Abby's birthday this February is likely to be an...

..."Anywhere but my house party" (ABMHP). This is probably the most popular type of party today. I've thrown one of these at a dumpy miniature golf course and half a party at a local bowling alley (rather than pay for their "party" with food, I just paid for two lanes of bowling, and took the kids home to feed them). Other typical locations for ABMHP include ice skating rinks, indoor play centers, gyms, and community pools. On the unique end of the ABMHP spectrum, Ian has been to a canoing and scavenger hunt in the woods party and Abby has been to a scavenger hunt party at the mall.

Finally, the most devoted and ambitious parents take birthday parties to the streets and hit the coolest venues in the city. My children have been to soirees at the Melting Pot, Hibachi's, a hip and trendy Mexican restaurant in Philadelphia (in a private room complete with karaoke), on the Duck Boats (pre-drownings), and at Margaret Kuo's, the best Chinese restaurant in the area. It goes without saying that I am too cheap to ever throw one of these super cool parties. After attending my niece Jordan's "Sweet 16" in December, I'm already trying to figure out how I can throw Abby a 16th birthday party that costs no more than $5.00 per guest. Okay, $10. Tops. It's a good thing we're not Jewish because I would have told the kids they had to choose between the Bar/Bat Mitzvah and going to college.

For fun, share with FA readers the coolest birthday party your child was ever invited to and/or the coolest party you ever hosted. Let's see who wins!

    3 comments:

    Jamie Schiffer said...

    Being the UBER creative type, I hosted a bday party for Logan's 8th (he's Ian's age for those who don't know)that was a Harry Potter theme. We had a Hogwarts Bouncy Castle (I cannot explain just how much fun these are for the grownups after the kids have left), had colored banners for all of the "Houses", and dressed in costume as Professor McGonagall, with his dad dressed as Hagrid. The garage was converted to the "Grand Hall" (which kept the mess outside). I held a "Potions Class" using different KoolAid flavors labeled as various ingredients such as "Eye of Newt" and "Ground Batwing". The kids had to follow a "Formula" and see if their potion matched mine in color and flavor, the winner getting a prize. We had a "Quidditch" game and "flew" around the yard in an obstacle course racing on our custom Nimbus 2000's. We had an assortment of Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans and Chocolate Frogs as well as pizza and ice cream cones. All in all, very inexpensive given that the Moon bounce was a trade out from events I referred to the company during previous years (I'm an event planner). We had a blast and many of his friends still talk about it!

    A "Freakin' Angel" said...

    WOW! Can you plan my next party?? That sounds awesome, Jamie!

    Mary Ellen said...

    I am going for the easiest party ever AMH -- I am fortunate that Katie has a July birthday. I typically put "wear your bathing suit" on the invite, load up on water guns, kiddie pools & water balloons, and then make a tray of Mac & cheese and another of hot dogs. Nothing better than a mob of kids chasing each other around the yard with water guns!!