Thursday, January 13, 2011

A Tribute to Angels

The face of my beloved Media Presbyterian Church is changing yet again. A few months ago we lost my arch nemesis and dear friend Mark Boyd to a pastorate in western PA, and this past weekend we learned that Christian education director extraordinaire Cara Cavicchia will be leaving us to attend seminary. Clearly these two people have their priorities all messed up. I for one cannot understand how any sane person could leave the home base of the Freakin' Angels.

Aside from the bad/sad news of Cara's springtime departure, this past weekend was a glorious hotbed of happy FA activity. On Saturday afternoon a few of us celebrated our dear friend Cathie's 40th birthday, and on Sunday evening, in lieu of watching the Eagles crumble in the face of another post season, a large group of FAs got together for dinner, drinks, and lots of laughter. I returned home from that evening with my heart (and belly) full, wondering what I did to deserve the blessing of having these ladies in my life. Taking myself out of the equation, I don't believe I'm exaggerating when I say you've never met a more amazing group of women.

I'm not defining these women as amazing because of their resumes, civic accomplishments, income levels, wardrobes, educations, IQs, or job titles. I'm not using the word amazing because they're perfect specimens of woman, wife, or mom. These women are amazing because their hearts are bigger than you would think humanly possible. I swear if we physically compared their heart sizes to the average human being, theirs would be significantly above average. (Since we would have to cut their chests open to do prove this, we'll just take my word for it.)

Women are often stereotyped as competitive, jealous, gossipy, catty, and petty creatures who like to shop and talk on the phone all day. The women I know couldn't be less deserving of such a reputation. The women of Media Presbyterian Church are better described as:
  • Loving
  • Faithful
  • Witty
  • Committed
  • Dependable
  • Kind
  • Bright
  • Honest
  • Real
  • Forgiving
  • Grace-full
Rather than spending their days shopping and chatting, you will find them teaching, raising children, leading cultural institutions and law firms, working in the healthcare field, and sharing their talents in the business world. 

And that's just when they're doing their day jobs. When the call goes out that another woman (or man, for that matter) is in need (a bright FA light flashes through the sky), these women spring into action more quickly than any superhero. They've responded to cancer treatments, cancer scares, marriage collapses, health crises, financial difficulties, new mommy challenges, childcare dilemmas, and more. Sometimes a helping hand is in order, more often a shoulder, prayer, or loving heart is all that's required.

The very best thing about these Freakin' Angels is that their circle of friendship is not closed, but rather continues to grow with each woman who responds to the invitation that they extend through everyday kindness. If you're seeking warm, welcoming, genuine friendship, our circle is always open.

2 comments:

Cornelia said...

Awwwwwh, so lovely put. I'd have to agree 100%, especially as one of the newer FAs. Am most grateful for not having to prove the heart theory in person!

Cabogirl said...

I thank my God every time I remember you.
In all my prayers for all of you,
I always pray with joy.....
Philipians 1:3&4